Pro 100 print head source?

dannno

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
I just got a new in box pro 100, sans ink and print head. I got it as a spare for the 4 year old unit I'm using. Out of curiosity, I searched for a new print head. They are crazy expensive. Is there a economical source I' m overlooking?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
At one time when the 100s were rebated heavily, printheads could be found for as low as 50-60 ish on ebay.
Now those times are done because parting out no longer makes sense as rebates are no more and the 100 is now discontinued and the ones left are at full retail.. Ebay could still be a source over an official Canon source.
Still, if the paper handling sizes of the Pro-200 are nothing special to you, it is still more attractive to do what you have done and pay full price for a new printhead..... you'd certainly be better off from a refilling standpoint... and less expensive as well.

Now that the 100 is gone in the USA., those who seek to refill and have the ability to reset. Another strategy is to source Pro-100 "bodies" and there are lots arournd. Get a set of OEM flushed tanks off Ebay and bite the bullet and purchase a new printhead from an official Canon source.

In Canada, there are still remaining stocks left of the 100 from Canon Canada....ooops looks like they are now all gone this week. Last week Canon raised the priced by an additional $20 and they had stock. Gone now. Pro-200 $800 versus Pro-100 $500. Was a no brainer so the stocks flew off the shelf.

dannno

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Thanks. i know the back story, having paid $49 for printer, delivered with a pack of 13x19 paper.

Naptown38

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
When my PRO-100 printhead died this summer I bought a replacement from inkjetprinthead.com. They are almost $180, but I was skeptical of some of the eBay listings. The one I received is, as far as I can tell, a genuine Canon printhead. It works fine. It certainly beats having to buy a PRO-200.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
For the UK the source I'd recommend is the official service centre, CRC-tasktron.

Worth noting that Canon stop manufacturing the printheads two years (if memory serves) after their retire the printer itself. so mark the date 18 months hence for a purchasing spree.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I was told by Canon USA Sales that print heads are manufactured for 5 years from date of initial printer release. Maybe some print heads are manufactured longer, but do not count on it. Have no idea what happens when a compatible newer version of the same print head is released.

Maybe things are different in Merry Olde England. 💂‍♂️

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I was told by Canon USA Sales that print heads are manufactured for 5 years from date of initial printer release. Maybe some print heads are manufactured longer, but do not count on it. Have no idea what happens when a compatible newer version of the same print head is released.
Interesting... May well be the equivalent just interpreted from different ends.. Either way, stocking up seems to be the best plan.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
May well be the equivalent just interpreted from different ends
Maybe so.

Maybe things have changed.

Maybe one of the Canon folks was talking out of his not mouth. 💩

Maybe I have been waiting to use that emoji and decided to Carpe Diem.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
According to the scarce information available at present, it's quite probable that the Pro-200 and the Pro-100 use the same printhead, as it seems to be the case with the combo Pro-10/Pro-300. If so, no need to worry about Pro-100 printheads right now. They will be available at least until 2025 or, if @websnail is right, for 2 years after the Pro-200 is retired by Canon.