Pro-1 vs. Pro-1000 ink / pigment

tomsaknit.com

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-1, Pro-1000, Pro-4000
Need a little help.

I have been using Mike’s precision color inks successfully in both my pr-1 and pro-1000 machines. Unfortunately I made a mistake in my last order for the pro-1000 and ordered more pr-1 ink. Now I find myself with an abundance of pro-1 ink on hand, and I have rut of pro-1000.

I have tried contacting Mike through email and phone several times over the last two weeks, but I’m not receiving a response. I hope all is OK on his end.

In any case, does anyone know if precision colors Pro-1 Inc/pigment is the same formulation (product) as the pro 1000? Am I safe to use the pro-1 ink in mixed batch in my pro-1000?

Thanks for your thoughts.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If your serious about your photos, the answer is no, get OEM ink till you can sort out your little conundrum, don’t mix in Pro1 inks… Ask @mikling the question on here...

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I can’t agree more. Pro1 ink inside a Pro1000 means trouble. The Pro1000 has huge internal ink tanks. Put the wrong ink there and you’d need massive cleaning cycles, wasting tons of expensive ink, to go back to the correct color.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I told my wife this morning at breakfast, I need a holiday or something. As you age, you or your partner needs attention to health issues if it is not one thing it is another. Time is short, really short. A day passes quickly, I don't need to travel to the shop, I am in it within 5 minutes from being awake, get the orders out and then sometimes I then need to acquire supplies or take time to take my wife or myself to personal appointments. So yeah, I have been extremely busy and getting more tired at the end of each day. Right now, I've been on the road for 5 hours and just got back.

To answer your question, we take the time to put on a seal over the cover of Pro-1000 inks to try and wake people up that they are handling a PHOTO color and not the normal color because of the disaster that can entail if they make a mistake. It takes effort to break or remove this tape or seal. Hopefully that works. I get tired of questions that the color is not correct and it must be the ink problem. It's very tiring to deal with that. Of course no refiller makes the mistake of putting in the wrong color.

The Pro-1000 inks that I have passes the calibration test for Canon specs on the Pro-1000. That means it is close enough to pass for OEM ink and any adjustments the printer must make is within the tolerances of Canon OEM ink. While some colors for the Pro-1 might work, it is not a good idea, because as the previous poster puts it, if it is not good enough, it will be a pain in the arse to fix it. I spent three months or so after finalizing the inkset for the Pro-1, tweaking to within 1-2 %. If it was the same, it would have been introduced at the same time. No? The standard for the Pro-1000 was extremely high because to me it is a special printer.......only a non wise person would purchase a pro-1000 and then cripple it with inks that do not work well. Hat points out that he would only use OEM, but I suspect he has never tried my Signature Edition line for the Pro-1 and Pro-1000. Same story for the Pro-100. These signature edition inks are the last inksets I will put significant time into. They are very different from what one normally expects aftermarket ink to do. The old premise is that to get good color, you must custom profile or tweak. Not so with the Signature Edition, I have pulled off what many thought was impossible to do ten years ago. What colors were not possible, I tell you to stick with the OEM, because it is not possible with the limitations of what is off the shelf. You see certain dyes and pigments even when not made by Epson or Canon are not available to anyone else. Signed contract etc?

tomsaknit.com

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-1, Pro-1000, Pro-4000
Art, Hat and Mike, thank you all for your thoughtful replies!

Mike, I’ll be sending an order tomorrow so I can get up and running again.

Hope you find time to breathe, and enjoy those whom you love.

Appreciatively, Tom

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hat points out that he would only use OEM, but I suspect he has never tried my Signature Edition
**Correction,** I didn’t say I use OEM inks, my suggestion was to maintain compatibility by using OEM inks till more PC inks were purchased, and that Pro 1 inks were a bad replacement..
get OEM ink till you can sort out your little conundrum, don’t mix in Pro1 inks…

Latest posts