pro-1 several gray ink problem

jbhtjbht

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
pro-1 pro9500mark2pro9000mark2
Hello everyone, I am going to buy some ink on Canon pro521 561 printer ink to replace my pro-1 ink, now the question is which are the corresponding inks of GY DGY LGY used in pro-1? (pro521 561 use the ink related to gray is PGY and GY. pro-1 use the ink related to gray is GY DGY LGY, which of them is the same?)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I am going to buy some ink on Canon pro521 561 printer ink to replace my pro-1 ink,
Just don’t buy them, they will clog like hell, the Pro 1 uses a different type of pigment formulation, don’t ask me because I don’t know the ins and outs of it, but you can get inks from the larger cartridge printers like the Prograf 2000, and larger Canon printers, up to 700 ml tanks..

jbhtjbht

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thank you, Hat, for always being there to help me in the first place! I have successfully used Canon wide format printer ink in my pro9500 (130ml version I think), are you saying that these larger printers have coarser ink particles? But Rodriguez seems to be using oem inks in his pro-1.

jbhtjbht

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro521 561 is also a 12-color pigment printer that uses lucia pro ink, which seems like it should work

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
! I have successfully used Canon wide format printer ink in my pro9500 (130ml version I think)
All the larger printer ink sets work right down to the Pro 9500, rand across the Canon Pro range, and yes the larger OEM ink tanks are the best value, but don’t rule out some 3rd party inks because you can still get huge sayings.

Originally when I started out with my Pro 9500, there were no 3rd party inks available for that printer, so I uses inks from the iPF 8400 printers, then I discovered pigment ink were been made in China that were nearly as good..
You'll be good to go with the Pro 521, 561 inks..

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
All the larger printer ink sets work right down to the Pro 9500, rand across the Canon Pro range, and yes the larger OEM ink tanks are the best value, but don’t rule out some 3rd party inks because you can still get huge sayings.

Originally when I started out with my Pro 9500, there were no 3rd party inks available for that printer, so I uses inks from the iPF 8400 printers, then I discovered pigment ink were been made in China that were nearly as good..
You'll be good to go with the Pro 521, 561 inks..
Indeed, Asian versions using the Lucia PRO inks.
It is the third generation inks after Lucia and Lucia EX.

Maybe overkill in a PRO-10 (and de facto PRO-1), Lucia EX will do as well.
Gamut is 20% larger as first generation Lucia used in the 9500.

Lucia PRO is used in the PRO-1000 and PRO-300, but PRO-10 and PRO-1 is different from the wide format inks (at least Canon never told something about).
They (seem to) fit technically but need custom profiles.

Read between the lines of what Jose Rodriguez tells on youtube...

PS: in the PRO-10 I use Lucia EX GY, seems to correspond with PRO-1 DGY.
You can mix your own greys with mainly B,G and some Y (as @The Hat learned me), but you need a professional eye or a spectrophotometer.

Last edited:

jbhtjbht

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Indeed, Asian versions using the Lucia PRO inks.
It is the third generation inks after Lucia and Lucia EX.

Maybe overkill in a PRO-10 (and de facto PRO-1), Lucia EX will do as well.
Gamut is 20% larger as first generation Lucia used in the 9500.

Lucia PRO is used in the PRO-1000 and PRO-300, but PRO-10 and PRO-1 is different from the wide format inks (at least Canon never told something about).
They (seem to) fit technically but need custom profiles.

Read between the lines of what Jose Rodriguez tells on youtube...

PS: in the PRO-10 I use Lucia EX GY, seems to correspond with PRO-1 DGY.
You can mix your own greys with mainly B,G and some Y (as @The Hat learned me), but you need a professional eye or a spectrophotometer.
Thank you for your reply! This is very important information! Now the question is, do the three gray inks GY DGY LGY in pro-1 fit with the two gray inks GY PGY in the large oem cartridges? For example, can the gray ink PGY in the large printer pro521 replace the gray ink LGY in the pro1? Because the color shades seen on the label from the Canon box are very close to these two inks.

jbhtjbht

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Does pro-1 only use DGY LGY ink when printing black and white photos and only use GY when printing color photos, if so, then the effect of the two gray inks, DGY LGY, can be almost ignored when printing color photos.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Does pro-1 only use DGY LGY ink when printing black and white photos and only use GY when printing color photos, if so, then the effect of the two gray inks, DGY LGY, can be almost ignored when printing color photos.
No idea since I don't have a PRO-1.
If the only GY in the PRO-10 differs slightly from OEM custom profiling can correct this, but I don't know if you can use the same ink for different grey levels in the PRO-1.

The PRO-10 and PRO-1 lack PGY and colors B (and G) from the Lucia 12 inkset, and maybe this is why Y and R have a higher gamut, but profiling seems able to compensate this into a 9 color inkset, so why not with 3 greys ?
As said, on your own risk and IMO unfeasible without a profiling device.

jbhtjbht

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
No idea since I don't have a PRO-1.
If the only GY in the PRO-10 differs slightly from OEM custom profiling can correct this, but I don't know if you can use the same ink for different grey levels in the PRO-1.

The PRO-10 and PRO-1 lack PGY and colors B (and G) from the Lucia 12 inkset, and maybe this is why Y and R have a higher gamut, but profiling seems able to compensate this into a 9 color inkset, so why not with 3 greys ?
As said, on your own risk and IMO unfeasible without a profiling device.
The hat used standard GY to fill the other two greys in its own pro1 printer and reported that it worked fine, so it seems that the two grey inks in pro1 are not irreplaceable. I used i1Studio software and hardware to define the icc file, I will try to pgy replace lgy .and gy Replace DGY. see how it turns out.

Last edited:

Latest posts