PRO-1 Error B500

hdpete

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
Hi,
I have recently replaced a few inks on my Pro-1, which gets very little use (approx 100 A4 pages per year & 3 years old). Since replacing the inks, the printer reports error B500 with the Resume button and power button alternating between Orange and White lights. I believe that the error relates to a full waste tank (or a usage counter relating to it).

I am running a Mac and have a Windows VM for any service tool, but I am unable to locate a service tool to work with the Pro-1. I don't think I have ever updated the firmware, but I am unable to call up the firmware version now that the printer is in this error state.

I was going to check that the new inks were properly seated, but the ink door will no longer open when the button is pressed (even for a couple of minutes, or during the warm up sequence). It seems that the printer is bricked, but there must be a way....

Can anyone please point me to a service mode procedure and tool that works with the PRO-1? My searching hasn't thrown up anything that works. I've tried the following, to no avail:

1. With the printer power turned off, while pressing the Resume/Cancel button, press and hold the ON button. (DO NOT release the buttons.)
  2. ii. When the Power LED lights in white, while holding the ON button, release the Resume/Cancel button. (DO NOT release the ON button.)
  3. iii. While holding the ON button, press the Resume/Cancel button 5 times, and release the ON button. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in white.)
  4. iv. When the Power LED lights in white, the printer is in service mode operation..

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a UK based service / repair service? I'd prefer to avoid Canon as they're likely to see it as an open cheque book, but given the low use of the machine, it feels like something really simple to me.

Many thanks,
Pete

Last edited:

hdpete

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
I think I have cracked it... After speaking to CRC (UK Authorised Canon repairer), they suggested that they have started to see a lot of B500 errors as a result of using compatible inks. I have used compatible inks for years and always the same brand (LCL), only for the ones replaced yesterday to cause this issue. I managed to remove the side panels from the printer and pop open the ink doors. I reseated all inks etc, but the problem remains. I'll put in the old empty cartridges to see whether the printer warms up OK, as it then suggests a supply issue with the new cartridges.. I'll report back.