Pro 1 and matte black

malantheon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1
Hi,

does it still hold true that Pro 1 will use Matte Black on mate paper only when the fine-art matte paper is selected? (and not when standard mate paper is chosen)

I have recently profiled a 3rd party matte paper using i1Studio. I have used fine-art paper in the paper settings (but the border restriction is killing me). I tried to print with the said profile also when I have selected that standard matte paper as medium and the results had magenta-cast blacks. So, I will need to re-profile for again, but I don't want to do that with Matte Black is not used in this case and will rather stick to fine-art setting.

Thank you!

Edit:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
does it still hold true that Pro 1 will use Matte Black on mate paper only when the fine-art matte paper is selected?

This printer uses both Black inks on every paper other than high glossy photo paper, I know it doesn’t make sense but that’s the way this printer produces such beautiful prints.

Border restriction can be overcome with a bit of ingenuity, if you change the Media settings to, "like Hagaki for instance", but continue to use fine-art paper and profile that paper using those settings, your printer can’t tell the Feckin difference.

It may take a few attempts to get the right combination but it is achievable with persistence, and remember to disable all paper detection in the printer properties..

malantheon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1
Hi, thanks so much for the clarification, I will try to profile the paper with "like Hagaki" media type.

remember to disable all paper detection in the printer properties..

I could use some help here. The only place I found was under Maintenance > Custom settings, but I am not sure this is the paper detection you have been talking about and that if this setting it should be disabled at all.

Thank you very much!

Attachments

• 2021-01-15_11h49_01.png
    2021-01-15_11h49_01.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 180

malantheon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1
Oh, sorry to bother, did some googling, but could not find answer, which of the hagaki paper types should be used for the best quality on a mate paper - I know it probably is trial and error, but standard matte paper is not giving me very nice results (fine art matte, in contrast, turns quite nicely with my media - rather cheap MediaRange double sided Matte paper and 300 g). If it is trial and error, I will do that, just wanted to know if somebody has some experience. Thanks!

Edit:

Attachments

• 2021-01-15_11h57_18.png
    2021-01-15_11h57_18.png
    935 bytes · Views: 166

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
which of the hagaki paper types should be used
You can use which Media settings you wish to start with (Hagaki was just an example) that doesn’t use the large margins, then you can profile and use the paper of your choice, it’s not a hard and fast rule, but it will take a few go’s before you get the results you require..

You trick the printer and the i1Studio to use and profile the paper of your paper choice, regardless of which Media setting that is chosen.. It’s like driving on the wrong side of the road when there is no other traffic..
P.S. when using this testing method, try and keep your paper print sizes to a minimum to reduce paper wastage.. A5 is a good size to work with..

malantheon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1
Thanks for the advice! I will try and re-profile, I will also try to print the profile and control sheets on A5.

malantheon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1
@The Hat oh, please I forgot - where to turn off that Paper detection? Thank you!

malantheon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1
@The Hat so I did and try what I could. Did not get the rich black under any other combination, it seems that the Matte fine art paper is the only one where the printer dares to put more ink :-/ But great advice on scaling A4 calibration sheet to A5 - works without complaints. Thanks!

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
You can bypass wide borders restrictions for Fine Art settings with Qimage. It works nicely on my Pro10s, I'm not so sure with a Pro1, but you can download a free trial version of Qimage ultimate and see if the 'hack' works also with your Pro1.
The procedure to bypass the wide borders seems a bit fiddly in the beginning but after a few times you do it without even thinking. It requires only two additional mouse clicks.
I'm sure it has been explained in this forum a while ago, but I don't remember in which thread, sorry.