Prints have a reddish tint (Canon 9000) - Generic Ink Recommendations?

Grandexp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
fotofreek said:
Grandexp said:
ivanalbright said:
A couple months ago I noticed that my photo prints have a very noticeable reddish tint on my Canon Pro 9000.
All have been said but one, an important one.

If the printer worked fine and the prints were not reddish before you may have a problem with your magenta ink cartridge.
This is a dangerous situation to your print head. Your magenta channel is not working. With magenta output reduced or missing
you will definitely see reddish tint on your print.
I think you have this backward - inadequate flow of magenta will not produce a reddish hue. As Grandad35 posted a few posts back on this thread, "A lack of cyan will also cause a red color cast."
You are absolutely right. Lack of cyan will make the print reddish. Thanks for the correction. Lack of magenta will cause greenish tint.

The important point is if the printer is lack of cyan (or magenta) it is telling that the cyan (or magenta) cartridge is not flowing well. This requires immediate attention to correct. If not corrected the print head will be clogged soon.

M

MiniMe

Tho OP originally asked for advise about a good source for reliable generic low cost carts. Why don't members just provide answers to the question asked and not try to push their own refilling choices?

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
MiniMe said:
Tho OP originally asked for advise about a good source for reliable generic low cost carts. Why don't members just provide answers to the question asked and not try to push their own refilling choices?
The simple, direct answer to your question is that the years of experience represented by many members of this forum have found that the quality of prefilled "generic" carts has been variable at best and abysmal at worst - like the OP's real world experience. The refilling of OEM carts with proven good aftermarket inks that are formulated for each specific manufacturer's printers and series of models has been proven over the years to give excellent, reliable, stable, repeatable results. welcome as a newcomer - you may notice, as you go over years of subjects and individual posts, that our efforts have been directed to just that - reliable, repeatable good results that can be trusted to create good photo prints and not harm our printers.

ivanalbright

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
As some have guessed, I now am pretty sure that there may be a clog or some issue with the cyan (or photo cyan?) nozzle, rather than too much/too strong of magenta as suspected earlier (or possibly both are a problem). Through various prints I am noticing that some blue colors are too light. For example a dark gray comes out as a midtone red/brown color. And as some mentioned a lack of cyan would also be why all colors are tinted red

HOWEVER, If I print off a page of purely various blue gradients, it seems to come out pretty well, and nozzle check printouts all look okay for the cyan..(except for one single time where almost no cyan printed out in the test patch, but a cleaning cycle fixed that right away). I have also run quite a bit of cleaning cycles and deep cleaning cycles.

What is my next step as far as cleaning the printhead to remove a clog? Are these good instructions for cleaning the canon pixma 9000 printhead (basically just spray it with a hose?) http://daydull.com/tips-tutorials/how-to-remove-a-canon-printhead-how-to-clean-a-clogged-printhead/

M

MiniMe

fotofreek said:
MiniMe said:
The simple, direct answer to your question is that the years of experience represented by many members of this forum have found that the quality of prefilled "generic" carts has been variable at best and abysmal at worst - like the OP's real world experience. The refilling of OEM carts with proven good aftermarket inks that are formulated for each specific manufacturer's printers and series of models has been proven over the years to give excellent, reliable, stable, repeatable results. welcome as a newcomer - you may notice, as you go over years of subjects and individual posts, that our efforts have been directed to just that - reliable, repeatable good results that can be trusted to create good photo prints and not harm our printers.
I think that she has answered her own question. She has had good results with the G&G carts for two years and only had trouble when she switched retailers(ink) and started mixing different inks.

Although I have never used them it seems that G&G is a good choice for someone who is not interested in refilling and wants to lower their ink costs.

If you are not a she sorry....all a saw was Ivana...lol.....sorry if you are Ivan!

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
MiniMe said:
fotofreek said:
MiniMe said:
I think that she has answered her own question. She has had good results with the G&G carts for two years and only had trouble when she switched retailers(ink) and started mixing different inks.

Although I have never used them it seems that G&G is a good choice for someone who is not interested in refilling and wants to lower their ink costs.

If you are not a she sorry....all a saw was Ivana...lol.....sorry if you are Ivan!
Mini - A bit of history. The person whose information on refilling canon printers inspired the creation of this forum did find prefilled G and G carts to be the best from the point of view of the color response of the included inks. Subsequently the vendor of G and G carts shifted to a different brand. At some point later, posts started to show up with complaints about G and G carts. Perhaps they are now just fine, but I wouldn't, in good faith, suggest them as there is no certainty that next month or next year there won't be a different manufacturer or the use of different inks. That is why, from experience, I suggest refilling OEM carts with known good quality inks. Interestingly enough, the OP wasn't actually certain of the source of the carts that she thought might be G and G.

Since there are lots of variables when it comes to experiencing and diagnosing printer problems (i.e. color shifts, banding, missing colors) my preference is to nail down the variables that I can control. Hence OEM carts and the best aftermarket ink I can use.

M

MiniMe

How long ago was this....there are people who come to this forum to find alternatives to oem inks. Are you saying that there are no generics that are fit to use? I've seen generic cart ads on this site....shame on you.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
MiniMe said:
How long ago was this....there are people who come to this forum to find alternatives to oem inks. Are you saying that there are no generics that are fit to use? I've seen generic cart ads on this site....shame on you.
Let's try to speak the same language. Generics are sold in Staples or Costco for refilling carts. They claim to be correct for all manufacturers' printers without consideration for the different manufacturer or model. I suggest that it is better to use known aftermarket inks that are manufactured for specific brands and models of printers. Are generics fit for use? If you wish to use them it is your choice. I would hope that carts that you would buy online would include inks that are made differently for each manufacturer's printers. I would hope that they haven't filled Canon aftermarket carts with "generic inks" that they get from the same vat that also is used for Epsons and HPs without regard to the different technology of the printheads or color profiles. If anyone on the forum finds that the items advertised are not suitable I expect that the person responsible for arranging for these advertisers would terminate their availability to our members. It is fortunate that these ads pay the cost of maintaining the forum.

For those who come to this forum for alternatives to OEM inks I recommend what I and other members have found to be safe for their printers and close in color to OEM inks. They are not Generic. They are formulated for specific families of printers. The best guarantee I can get for carts to refill is the manufacturer's cart - if it is easily refillable. I went to Canon printers about nine years ago when I found my Epson printers difficult to refill. Obviously, if an OEM cart can be improved on for refilling - go for it.

As to how long ago the G and G carts were reported to have problems, I must admit that I forgot to note it on my calendar. Once it was determined that there were problems which suggested a change in ink source I simply rejected trying them in the future. As I noted in another response to you today, I eliminate variables I can't control such as a change in manufacturer of a cart bearing a familiar brand (the Arrow carts i had experience with, or reported changes in a prefilled cart (G and G) that produced off colors.

And now, to your quip -"shame on you." We welcome you if you have information to contribute or advice that you seek. If the forum, as you find it, is one in which you want to participate we are delighted to have you here.

M

MiniMe

I am no expert but I am sure that the vendors that have advertised on this site have tried to match the OEM inks at least as well as IS which has the same inks for three generations of Canon printers. I'm sure you have read Grandexp's posts. I would have not even made that comment except you have been trumping up tailor made color matches for various newer Canon printers that have Chroma Inks.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
MiniMe said:
I am no expert but I am sure that the vendors that have advertised on this site have tried to match the OEM inks at least as well as IS which has the same inks for three generations of Canon printers. I'm sure you have read Grandexp's posts. I would have not even made that comment except you have been trumping up tailor made color matches for various newer Canon printers that have Chroma Inks.
Yes, i did read Grandexp's posts. They are not quite accurate regarding the three generations of Canon inks and IS. The IS formulation of for cli-8 inks was adjusted for differences in canon profiles from the bci-6. This was done to adjust the color response. The change did not affect every ink color, so some inks continued to be sold for both generations of inks. Whatever Canon did to substantiate their claim that the Chroma Inks produce prints that are less prone to fading is proprietary information. It is apparent that IS didn't alter their formulas for that change in the Canon inks. No one ever claimed that ink I can use to refill carts at about $1 per cart is absolutely the same as OEM ink at $14 per cart. The color responses are remarkably similar, and to my eye close enough to not bother with special profiles. My prints, under glass or in albums, or for casual prints to give to friends, are more than stable enough to suit me.

Back to the advice the someone might seek on the forum for refill inks they wish to use. Should they expect even the best refill inks to be identical to OEM inks that are formulated by the printer manufacturer? If so we can advise them to search back to very good comparisons done by Grandad35 several years ago between OEM and several aftermarket inks. If you, as a newcomer, would like to do a new comparison of the stability of IS and OEM inks it would be welcomed. If you want to compare the stability of the IS BCI-6 and CLI-8 inks from both OEM and IS that would be most interesting.

Bottom line - I am not "trumping up" anything. I have only related my own experiences and the experiences of people whom I trust on the forum.