Prints coming out with too much magenta (ip4000)

colblip

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Recently my ip4000 has started producing prints with too much magenta. I've tried cleaning, deep cleaning and changing the magenta cartridge but no success. I know this problem has been experienced by others but I've yet to find messages that lead to a solution, so I am here looking for either a solution or suggestions to troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks.

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Are you using all the same brand ink cartridges? If the cartridges are mixed (eg. OEM and compatible) this will sometimes cause the colors to be off. Also you can adjust your color output yourself in the printers setup options, slide the color adjustment to LESS magenta. Also if you are using compatible or refilled cartridges the color profiles will be off, they are made/set to use the OEM ink. Having new profiles made to match the photo paper and inkset you use will solve this as well.

colblip

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am using the same brand cartridges and ink. This printer has performed flawlessly for months and only now has it taken up the 'red curse'. Maybe I've changed something in profiles but I don't really mess with them. I've never invested in a specific paper/ink/profile because in the past pictures turned out great.

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Could be the print head is on its way out, or the logic board. There are some tests you can do to check this, if you have the service manual.

colblip

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm w/o a service manual although I thought in the distant past I had seen references to downloadable versions (but for my printer?). Only link I have found no longer offers a download of the manual for free.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Colblip, you need to look at the printer's nozzle check print out for clues. If you save a nozzle check print out from the day when the printer was new and printed it the first time you will have a standard to compare to. You will be able to quickly see if there is a problem. You probably do not have one. What you can do is to see if it prints the colors correctly. Without a standard for comparison it will be hard to make a judgement but usually if there is something wrong the nozzle check print out will show it.

Go ahead to do a nozzle check and tell us what you get. Many experts out here will be able to help you quickly.

colblip

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Tigerwan - thanks. I'll go 'abrowsin' and maybe something will be a key to my problem.

hpnetserver - I refill so everytime I run a calibration and nozzle check and the nozzle check looks great (as always).

Standing back I'm fearful I have a bad board. I got this printer from Sam's under extended warranty (I seem to recall). I may be taking it for a replacement if I can't get to the bottom of the problem real soon.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
colblip,

I know that this sounds crazy, but have you checked that you didn't refill magenta into a C/Y/K cart by mistake? It's happened more than once.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Usually too much magenta signals a feed problem or clog with the cyan cart or nozzles. You can get a decent nozzle check but still have a poorly feeding cart. After several refills the carts can become sluggish. Try inserting a new cyan cart that you know is really good to see if that helps.