Printout is not aligned square with the paper

Lumi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello guys! I got a "gift" of a second-hand Canon MP270 and bought some refill inks for it. Ironically, for about 5, I could've bought a brand-new printer.... anyway, when I print from this 270, the printout is skewed, like the paper is fed (or the image is printed) about 3 degrees rotated to the right/clockwise. I notice when the paper goes into the printer, once the paper is about halfway in, the right-side edge curls against the paper guides.

What's wrong with my printer? Is this problem fix-able? Or should I just F*k it and buy a new printer?

Thanks!

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Look to see if anything has fallen into the paper path in the feed area. Paper clip, push pin, bit of paper somewhere in the paper path, etc. Could also be the feed rollers that need either cleaning or replacment.

Lumi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Nope, looks clean, and I've done the roller cleaning program provided by Canon.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I just googled your problem and found two things to try. I actually did one of these things for my wife's printer that is directly under her bulletin board. Unplug it and shake it upside down. Out came a pushpin that had fallen off her bulletin board. I couldn't see it just by inspection. The second suggestion that I saw online was to take a piece of card stock and push it through as it is feeding. People reported that little bits of paper and a rubber band they couldn't see came out. suggested if that doesn't help you can try pushing something like a phone book cover - stiff but fairly light card stock - backwards through the printer. That seemed to have dislodged a bit of tape and some other bits of paper that didn't come out any other way. The cleaning program from Canon is probably only suitable for cleaning ink off the rollers. That isn't your problem.

If the things i mention here don't work you might go online and google skewed paper in Canon inkjet printers and see if there is any other solution mentioned.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Pushing anything through your printer backwards is unwise as it can damage or break a paper sensor.
Forwards is the preferred method always even sideways, so as its movement is through the paper path and not backwards.
All paper jams should be removed from the front even if the sheet brakes up into many pieces and the task takes much longer.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The Hat said:
Pushing anything through your printer backwards is unwise as it can damage or break a paper sensor.
Forwards is the preferred method always even sideways, so as its movement is through the paper path and not backwards.
All paper jams should be removed from the front even if the sheet brakes up into many pieces and the task takes much longer.
Good advice, Hat. I was only reporting what I had read on a self repair site. Still, if I had purchase a used printer for very little money and was not inclined to take it apart I would probably try the backward feed as a last resort before using the printer as a door stop. It was reported to have worked for more than one person who had tried it. I wouldn't use heavy card stock, but paper as stiff as a magazine or phone book cover might still be thin enough to avoid damaging the paper sensor. Similar to taking apart a printhead to clear a clog (which I did try once after viewing Grandad35's early posts).