Printing with a bone dry cartridge

Fabphoto

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I refilled a year old bone dry magenta cl42 cart. My first 2 prints looked awful so I did a nozzle check
on my pro 100. The magenta rectangle was completely white. Not a drop of ink, so I inserted a
OEM cart and it now prints fine.
My question is why didn't the print head "Burn up"? I thought an empty cart was suppose to be
the worse thing one could do to a print head.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It’s very funny you should ask that, because you had the good sense not to do a test print, but only a nozzle check and then to change the cart for a new one to try solve your missing magenta problem.

Nozzle checks are the exception because they use so little ink they are not harmful to a printer head, so long as they are not repeated multiple times in a row.

A one year old cart is usually ok to use but only if it has the orange clip firmly attached to it when it was stored, but it is always more prudent and safer to purge any old empty carts that you have before trying to refill them.. ;)

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Why the magenta nozzles not got burnt? Maybe you haven't printed enough to kill them... but maybe for another reason: the printhead was smarter than you and has blocked the whole channel due to high temps. And you are lucky that the OEM cart did unblock this again..

Fabphoto

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I love this forum.
I have been really lucky in refilling. Only three srewups in four years. Not bad for a clumsy 76 year old.