Printing to cd's

Kjj45

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I am interested in purchasing a new printer that will print to cd's. I have the Lightscribe cd burner but I miss the color and would like to have it back. I am limited in desktop space so I have to be careful as to what size of printer I purchase. I have been searching online for this type of printer and I've only found them made my Epson and one by HP. Can anyone recommend one and one that isn't such a "space hog". But, the main thing, a GOOD one. Thanks! :)

gean

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Kjj45

I have a HP light scribe drive, that is usb. My son bought it for me when my daughter got married. Workes good.....BUT not as good as the Canon printer that print directly on to cd/dvd. I purchased a ip4200 that was recondition for 49.00 including shipping/ (that is cheeper that buying the ink tanks) I then followed the instruction from http://pixma.damnmachine.com/. I followed the direction and it worked perfectly. NOTE I purched the correct cd tray from e-bay, at a cost of 32.00 so my total investment is 81.00. I have used canon printer since the bjc600, 620, 4300, and i850, and not the ip4200. I not happy with the chiped cartiges, but have allwayse purchase canon printer because of individual cartriges. Another reason is you can touch the print when they come out of the printer; not so with hp, lexmark or epson. Note epson and lexmark dont' tell you how much ink is in there cartriges. ( would you fill up your gas tank and pay the bill without know what you got?) Hp tell you but with a try color cartrige when one color is gone the cartirge is usless for printing. Sorry for the long wind, but hope it helps. :/

gean

Music Image

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey guys, just my 2 cents worth.

My ip4000 does a wonderful job. I suppose it depends on the intricacy of the print, but it doesn't take long at all. There is a bit of time spent where the printer has to "get itself ready" type of thing, but if you did a number of CD's at one time I guess it wouldn't amount to much.

Im not sure but I think now you can get shiny surface CDs that you can print to. Anyway I'm pretty stoked with the job mine does. I use white surface CDs. You might want to read the instructions about your tray too, and be careful not to touch certain areas like the silver bits.

HTHs a bit.

Cheers Music Image.

jtl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
gh, if you are refering to the ones offered by ebestdeal4u that is not the case. I got mine from them thinking the same thing because in the features it references that it prints directly to CD's and DVD's Apparently what they mean is you can make modifications to the device, ie purchase the tray and modifiy the firmware. I believe Canon is prohibited by an agreement with Epson or HP from selling printers in the U.S. with this feature, but it is apparently a pretting easy mod. I emailed them and told them it was a misleading statement.

jtl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Also, based on my experience if you have a problem during the 90 Canon warranty period the 780 will be replaced with a 830. So if non-chipped carts is the reason for the purchase be advised. I have both the 780 and the 830 setting in front of me trying to decide which one to keep.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The reason I thought they included the CD tray is because under Product Specifications, the last entry in the table called Included as Standard, you will see CD-R Tray. But, of course, right under that you also see Subject to change without notice.

I realize there is some risk involved with buying these printers, and that is why I pointed to the thread where you pointed this out.

But thanks for the warning.

Xalky

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Kjj45 said:
I am interested in purchasing a new printer that will print to cd's. I have the Lightscribe cd burner but I miss the color and would like to have it back. I am limited in desktop space so I have to be careful as to what size of printer I purchase. I have been searching online for this type of printer and I've only found them made my Epson and one by HP. Can anyone recommend one and one that isn't such a "space hog". But, the main thing, a GOOD one. Thanks! :)
I use my canon ip5000 to print cds. I had to buy the tray on E-bay and theres a link on the cd tray page to help you configure the printer to the European mode so that it'll print CDs. The printing takes about 30 seconds. It does a fabulous job. And it's probably the most economical way to print on CD. I buy the printable CD/DVDs, much better than printing stick on labels, especially on DVDs, the paper labels throw off the balance of the disc and it wont play in most players. I just bought the IP6700d which also has the dormant cd printing capability. I just enabled it for cd printing and I'm waiting on the tray that I purchased off ebay.

If you need links let me know I can post them here, for the various trays and setup procedures.

Xalky

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Kjj45 said:
The canon IP4300 is a good model and can be bought for $50 after rebates durning specials. It's about 17 inches wide and fits inside a hutch cabinet above a desk: 17.5"(W) x 6.3"(H) x 12.0"(D)

The tray prices on eBay have come down to less then $20 for a tray.