Printing paper for family book

pkk

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro100 Epson 3880, 9880
Hey all!

I have a Canon Pro 9000 & I will be printing a 25-30 page book with text & pictures for a family reunion. I expect to print 80-100 of these. I would like to use 11X17 paper that can print both sides in the highest quality I can while keeping the cost reasonable, say $25-30 for the paper. What's the best product for the pictures at that price? The text will print on anything.

Pkk

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
pkk

I hope your booklet goes well for you, but a few things to consider first.
Youll need to use 120 / 150gm. paper to stop the bubbles in it; next I would suggest you only print it in standard mode not high quality.
If at all possible try and get some digital colour copy paper, your print job will look more professional on that.
Print all the even number pages first, 2, 4 6 like and then finish off with the cover last. Happy printing.. :)

pkk

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks! That's the kind of tips I need. Almost all the pictures are black & white so they print pretty well on plain paper but I want something nice & heavy. By the way, the first chapter will start in Co. Sligo from where my great grandfather emigrated in 1848. Thanks again.

Patrick Kelly

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Are you planning to fold the 11x17 sheets in half so you end up with a letter-size book of 8.5x11?

pkk

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes that's the plan. What do I need to know about folding so it looks right?

Pkk

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
pkk
The best practice for booklets is to make up your book with blank sheets first.
Then fold the sheets in half, pen in a heading on every single page and number it, now youll have whats known as a bible.
If you flatten out every page of your bible youll clearly see which sheet backs which.

You never said which way you were going to finish your booklet, binding or stitching
you must contemplate that long before you decide to print a single sheet.

Start by making sure you leave enough margins on the paper edges for trimming when the booklet is eventually finished,
proceed by printing the even numbers first usually (2), finish out all the even numbered sheets on one side first (checking with your bible).

Then continue with the uneven numbers, remember to carefully check your bible before starting each backup sheet, and finishing last with the cover.

When you have completed printing your labour of love (masterpiece), then its time for the folding.
Machine folding would be best but hand folding doesnt do a bad job either just a bit slower.

It is better not to fold the sheets in half but leave about 1/8 more on the uneven side of the sheet, 1 , 3 ,5 ,7 etc.
When you have all your sheets folded squeeze the spine (folded edge) of the sheets together to flatten them down a bit.

Next lay each individual stack down on a table top in the order therere going to be put together in your booklet 1 , 3 ,5 etc,
starting with the middle sheet first, (working backwards) insert it into the next corresponding sheet do that and finish on your cover.

Now for the scary bit, open each page of your new booklet and check it very very carefully against you bible
and if alls well proceed to collate the remaining sheets of your booklet.

This project will take you some time to complete with many mistakes along the way so the best piece of advice that
I can give you is to take your time and dont panic above all check you bible regularly

Remember you cant skimp on the finishing if you want the professional look.
It would be nice to hear how your project went, how about reporting back to us when it's finished..

pkk

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for the terrific tips. i would have figured this out after several hours & ink carts.

Pkk

pkk

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
I haven't decided how I will bind it but I think not stiching. That sounds the hardest. I will certainly report back on how good a job a stark newbie can do with this.

Pkk

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
ghwellsjr said:
Are you planning to fold the 11x17 sheets in half so you end up with a letter-size book of 8.5x11?
pkk said:
Yes that's the plan. What do I need to know about folding so it looks right?

Pkk
I use the booklet printing option on my iP4000 and MP760/MP780 printers all the time but of course they only work on 8.5x11 paper. But one thing I can say is that after folding a booklet that has many pages stapled together, the outside edge will not be even like in a regular book because the center pages will stick out farther than the ones near the covers. I considered buying a big paper cutter that would even them up but paper cutters like that cost hundreds of dollars. Some stores will trim the pages for you but it's rather expensive so I just live with the results.