Printing onto card

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Markw19,... Here are some questions I've asked and you did not answer. It is hard to help without good answers.

1. What kind of ink are you using.
2. Are you refilling original Canon ink carts.
3. Go into the Control Panel>Printers>Canon ip4200>properties> Color Management, and you should have selected the following profile; CNBJPRN2.
4. Go into printer Preferences and check what profile you have selected. Reset it to the default

Going back to your original post, try to print anykind of color chart or test image on standard ink jet paper. It has to come out ok or you still have problems. Forget about the heavy duty paper and card stock until you can get your color correct on plain paper. Print a known color test image and tell us how close the colors match and how clear the printing it. Print some kind of Text documentment and in the print advisor select "Fast Black" and plain paper. Tell us if that is clear.

Finally, what does you nozzle check print look link.

MarkW19

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Trigger, thanks for the reply:-

1. Official canon cartridges.
2. No, I always buy new (official) cartridges.
3. (I use a Mac) I've never had a problem with colour management/accuracy on my inkjet, it's very close to both the colour of my calibrated monitor, and the "actual" printed colour when referenced.

I've had this printer for a couple of years now, and have found it superb. The print quality on everything - text, graphics, full photos, is fantastic on every media and most settings - plain paper, Canon inkjet glossy or matte photopaper, etc.

The only problem I'm having is with the 280/300gsm "standard" card, and I've gone through all possible settings. It seems like I just need to get some specific "inkjet" card, if I can find some at the weight I want.

Thanks for all the help anyway guys, great forum.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Have you tried to get this paper

162.309.jpg

Works very good for inkjet ant it's 250gsm

dan_uk_1984

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I think as others have suggested its down to your brand/type of card your using.

There is a "prevent print head abrasion" setting if you find the head is smudging on very thick card by the way, I need to use this if I print on certain 300gsm but am fine on 270gsm

Gina

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have had similar difficulties to Mark. I have been trying to print onto A4 posters with my Canon MP210. From the replies Mark has received, I can now see that the card I have to use is not suitable for ink jet printing as I have had the same smudging and drying time difficulties as Mark. As I cannot change the card I use, I need to find a printer that will give me a good quality result. Can anyone give me some tips please? Would a laser printer give better results? If so can anyone suggest a good, not too expensive make and model?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Gina said:
I have had similar difficulties to Mark. I have been trying to print onto A4 posters with my Canon MP210. From the replies Mark has received, I can now see that the card I have to use is not suitable for ink jet printing as I have had the same smudging and drying time difficulties as Mark. As I cannot change the card I use, I need to find a printer that will give me a good quality result. Can anyone give me some tips please? Would a laser printer give better results? If so can anyone suggest a good, not too expensive make and model?
IF you find laser that does not bend paper when printing then it will work fine. You see almost all laser printer bend paper around and with 300gsm paper it it's glossy it can crack.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Before purchasing a laser printer to print on a particular card stock, take a sample to a store that has several models on display and test them. I did that before my last laser printer purchase and found that, at the low end costwise, the printers would not work with very heavy cardstock or envelopes. I started at the bottom of the HP models and ended up wth the 4005. Pricey but excellent with envelopes and moderately heavy card stock. The two issues that are important - 1)a straight paper path where the auxilliary feed deck folds down and the paper can exit from a pull-down shelf in the back. I required that both the aux feed and the tray in the back would hold multiple sheets of card stock, paper, envelopes, etc. 2) the less expensive printers do not have enough clearance at the fuser for thicker stock, and the fuser doesn't get hot enough to fuse the toner to the paper. Bottom line? Generally speaking, the lower cost laser printers can do well with standard paper - 20 to 24# stock but are not designed to handle heavier stock or envelopes. Take samples with you and test before you buy. BTW, the store where I tested the printer capability only had the 4005 with all the bells and whistles - duplexing, extra tray, networking, etc. I only needed the basic unit and ended up buying it online at a considerable savings.