Printing on CDs

JohnBB

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mg5350 & ts6250 & MX870
I’m getting the B200 error, and I want to print on CDs.

Background:-

Both of my Canon MG5350s are showing the B200 fault message. The story I hear from the UK repairers is that the print head has failed, and sometimes the associated logic board – which sounds fatal. But we know that the printer can continue to work, at least temporarily, with thorough cleaning of the printhead [out of the machine] and/or the trick of shutting the lid when the p/h is travelling to the left (etc). Please correct me if I have any of this wrong. 😊

I’ve done extensive cleaning with hot water, alcohol, and ‘paddling’ in an ultrasound bath.

I have swapped the p/h from one 5350 to the other, it makes no difference.

I use non-OEM carts, and have done for years with no [known] issues.
My use is mixed photo/text semi domestic [some home office], but occasional. So the printer often spends ages on its startup clunking and whirring, presumably squirting masses of ink into the waste reservoir. ☹

The Problem:-

My current TS 6250 works fine [touch wood] but doesn’t print onto CDs. Thus my need to revive at least one of the 5350s, as I have a stack of CDs I’d like to print on.

I’ve followed YouTube guides to sorting this B200 error, and finally by covering four contact pads on the p/h can have both printers work in B&W. Great!
By the way, if I print a nozzle check, the main [pigment - 525] black is perfect, but there’s nothing else. Oh, except half-way down the page, it prints:
8551-8600 Pages
Ver. 2.030

But I discover that printing on CDs does not use the pigment black cart, so even with black text, the printer goes through the motions of printing on the disc, but it comes out blank. ☹

(I’ve already burned the batch of CDs, but if I selected a particular brand of printable CD (in Canon’s software), would the printer use the pigment black cart? )

Main Question:-

If I cover other contact pads would it print using any or all of the other [dye] inks? I’d be happy with black from the dye 526 (or any other single colour) if that was all that was possible. And if so, which pads, please?

(I’m aware that you can buy stick-on CD labels which I probably could print on, but this is a zero-budget project! ☹ And anyway, I hate binning anything hi-tech that could/should work.)

Sorry for the lecture/novel. And thanks!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The B200 error is a portent of impending complete malfunction that is irreparable. Whether the failure is sooner or later, it is coming. A new print head should resolve the issue unless the logic assay board is affected whether or not the print head is having issues.

Because electrical issues in the print head can cause electrical issues in the logic assay board, and vice versa, putting a print head suspected of electrical issues into a "good" printer may cause the electrical issue to propagate to the logic assay board in the "good" printer. The reverse may happen as well. So, swapping parts may create more problems. If the logic assay board has an electrical fault then a new print head will not resolve your issue.

It is advised to not use an ultrasonic machine on print heads. They often destroy more than they help with clogs. Ditto for taking the print head apart. Only try these maneuvers as a last resort. An Ammonia in very weak strength, like Windex with Ammonium D, is preferred over alcohol.

As you have noticed, Plain Paper setting uses the Pigment Black cartridge. All photo paper settings use the Dye-based inks to make a composite Black. Either you can or cannot select Plain Paper setting for printing on CD's. If so then you would print with Pigment Black onto the CD.

If you are thinking of getting a new print head (QY6-0080) then only buy from an authorized dealer like Tasktron in the UK. Anything that comes out of China is likely to be refurbished but sold as new in counterfeit packaging. If you are unsure then post the print head link and ask in your thread.

As I said about electrical failures and propagation, be prepared if a new print head does not fix your issue, money wasted.

Maybe the best choice is instead of spending £59.99 Inc VAT for a new print head from Tasktron to buy a new printer.

JohnBB

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
The B200 error is a portent of impending complete malfunction that is irreparable. Whether the failure is sooner or later, it is coming. A new print head should resolve the issue unless the logic assay board is affected whether or not the print head is having issues.

Because electrical issues in the print head can cause electrical issues in the logic assay board, and vice versa, putting a print head suspected of electrical issues into a "good" printer may cause the electrical issue to propagate to the logic assay board in the "good" printer. The reverse may happen as well. So, swapping parts may create more problems. If the logic assay board has an electrical fault then a new print head will not resolve your issue.

It is advised to not use an ultrasonic machine on print heads. They often destroy more than they help with clogs. Ditto for taking the print head apart. Only try these maneuvers as a last resort. An Ammonia in very weak strength, like Windex with Ammonium D, is preferred over alcohol.

As you have noticed, Plain Paper setting uses the Pigment Black cartridge. All photo paper settings use the Dye-based inks to make a composite Black. Either you can or cannot select Plain Paper setting for printing on CD's. If so then you would print with Pigment Black onto the CD.

If you are thinking of getting a new print head (QY6-0080) then only buy from an authorized dealer like Tasktron in the UK. Anything that comes out of China is likely to be refurbished but sold as new in counterfeit packaging. If you are unsure then post the print head link and ask in your thread.

As I said about electrical failures and propagation, be prepared if a new print head does not fix your issue, money wasted.

Maybe the best choice is instead of spending £59.99 Inc VAT for a new print head from Tasktron to buy a new printer.
Thanks.

JohnBB

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
So, does anyone have any information on which contacts to cover to regain colour printing?
It seems to me that your pissing up a rope, you’ve already got the B200 error so why not call it a day and get another print head or new printer, that’s about the best and only options left..

JohnBB

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
I'm not sure what pissing up rope is, but since others /have/ regained colour printing by covering contacts, then I'd like to try the same - whichever contacts work for my printer, and having then having printed on 20 discs, I won't care that much if it keeps going or not. This job is a favour for a friend.
I'm not going to buy a new p/h, or spend £150 on a new printer just to get the disc printing facility when I have a working TS6250.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
since others /have/ regained colour printing by covering contacts
What did those people say when you asked them?

Please post links. I am sure members would like to read about this.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
There has been a few threads on this forum about masking contacts to circumvent the B200 error. See this, this and this, The MG5320 is the same printer as the MG5350 just for use in the North America in stead of Europe.

This is a beginning, there might be more posts on the forum about the subject. Sometimes an advanced Google search is more effective than the forum search function.

If the operation is a success you can also use the printer for plain paper documents by selecting photo paper as the printing medium instead of plain paper. Printing will be slow though and the print less sharp and water resistant than print with pigment black.

Last edited:

JohnBB

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
What did those people say when you asked them?

Please post links. I am sure members would like to read about this.
they posted once, with a slightly vague description of which pins they covered, and never responded to further questions. I tried what I thought they had done, but it didn't work in my case.
I can probably find the comment to a youtube vid if you want but all the information is abaov.e

JohnBB

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
There has been a few threads on this forum about masking contacts to circumvent the B200 error. See this, this and this, The MG5320 is the same printer as the MG5350 just for use in the North America in stead of Europe.

This is a beginning, there might be more posts on the forum about the subject. Sometimes an advanced Google search is more effective than the forum search function.

If the operation is a success you can also use the printer for plain paper documents by selecting photo paper as the printing medium instead of plain paper. Printing will be slow though and the print less sharp and water resistant than print with pigment black.
Thanks, will look through those.

Latest posts