Printing issues after refilling black

Jeremie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MX492
Hey I've been using this ink for my past non XL (PG-245) cartridge and it was working fine.

Printer is a Pixma MX492 with the PG-245XL cartridge.

First refill worked fine but didn't last very long as I don't think I put enough. Second time everything that prints out does not work it's like barely noticeable, refer to the picture in thread. I tried nozzle cleaning, putting the print head in hot water for 5 minutes still nothing. Is my cartridge already dead? When I refilled my first cartridge, the non XL PG-245 I was able to refill it like 5 times and now only one with this one.

Any opinions before I buy a new cartridge?

https://i.imgur.com/tsLG1PP.png

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Please print a well lit and cropped nozzle check image.

Are you using Canon OEM cartridges or third party cartridges?

What third party ink are you using for refilling?

Are you sure the cartridge seals up properly after refilling?

The PG-245 Pigment ink cartridge has the print head on the cartridge. This is nice in that if the cartridge/print head malfunction then it is much less expensive to replace the print head --- because it built into the inexpensive cartridge!

A downside of this design is that they do not seem to last if you refill.

BTW - flushing and soaking should not be done with "hot" water and soaking with either liquid dish soap or Windex with Ammonia D are recommended and need at least 24 hours and potentially several days

Jeremie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MX492
Please print a well lit and cropped nozzle check image.

Are you using Canon OEM cartridges or third party cartridges?

What third party ink are you using for refilling?

Are you sure the cartridge seals up properly after refilling?

The PG-245 Pigment ink cartridge has the print head on the cartridge. This is nice in that if the cartridge/print head malfunction then it is much less expensive to replace the print head --- because it built into the inexpensive cartridge!

A downside of this design is that they do not seem to last if you refill.

BTW - flushing and soaking should not be done with "hot" water and soaking with either liquid dish soap or Windex with Ammonia D are recommended and need at least 24 hours and potentially several days

Thanks for the reply. I'm at work now but I figured I would answer some questions now.

Yes OEM cartridge.

It was bought in 2017 from a seller on eBay. I found the listing here: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/4oz-Black-r...h=item2c78c10b31:g:aTgAAOSwu4BVi7iY:rk:5:pf:0 I have a second unopened bottle perhap I should try it.

Not sure for the sealing up. I cut the top open and just set it back and taped it back on. Exactly like I did my 1st cartridge and it worked over 5 refills.

At one point I was having issues with my older refilled cartridge and putting it in the hot water for 5-10 minutes helped it worked again and last another refill. That's why I had tried that.

Could it be that I put to much ink in it? I didn't measure it and just winged it.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Thanks for the additional info. Await the nozzle check to hopefully get a better idea.

Jeremie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MX492

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
The integral print head on the PB cart has probably failed electronically. I would not expect them to last long, as they don't have a great heat sink to dissipate the generated heating during operation (Canon print heads operate by flash boiling the ink to "spit" it out the nozzle).

The black bars/text adjacent to the colors on the nozzle check print are generated by a careful combination of the three colors of the other inks, and NOT from the PG (black) cart.

The PB ink is only used when printing text or some line graphics on plain paper, as the Pigment Black ink has better resistance to moisture, such as using a highlighter over printed text. It is not used during photo printing. A common work around is to "lie" to the printer driver that you are using matte photo paper instead of plain paper. The printer should then use a mixture of colors to print dark grey text. Printing speed will be considerably slower...

I suggest that you always use "Quite Mode" or "Night Mode" selected in the driver (if available on that printer's driver), and increase print drying time between pages. That slows printing and allows heating to dissipate over time, potentially extending print head life.

Try another cart and PLEASE report back.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Agree with @turbguy - time fora new PB cartridge.

PB ink, Pigment Black, is used when the paper selection setting is set to "Plain Paper". As turbguy said, select something other than Plain Paper - ie one of the photo paper selections - and Black is then made up from the other color ink cartridges.

Jeremie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MX492
Agree with @turbguy - time fora new PB cartridge.

PB ink, Pigment Black, is used when the paper selection setting is set to "Plain Paper". As turbguy said, select something other than Plain Paper - ie one of the photo paper selections - and Black is then made up from the other color ink cartridges.
Ok thanks guys.

Sucks I already have to get a new one tho. I guess I will buy a non XL one then as cheaper and also I know that one worked very well.

Jeremie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MX492
The integral print head on the PB cart has probably failed electronically. I would not expect them to last long, as they don't have a great heat sink to dissipate the generated heating during operation (Canon print heads operate by flash boiling the ink to "spit" it out the nozzle). The black bars/text adjacent to the colors on the nozzle check print are generated by a careful combination of the three colors of the other inks, and NOT from the PG (black) cart. The PB ink is only used when printing text or some line graphics on plain paper, as the Pigment Black ink has better resistance to moisture, such as using a highlighter over printed text. It is not used during photo printing. A common work around is to "lie" to the printer driver that you are using matte photo paper instead of plain paper. The printer should then use a mixture of colors to print dark grey text. Printing speed will be considerably slower... I suggest that you always use "Quite Mode" or "Night Mode" selected in the driver (if available on that printer's driver), and increase print drying time between pages. That slows printing and allows heating to dissipate over time, potentially extending print head life. Try another cart and PLEASE report back.

Purchased a non XL 245 PB and it works fine.

I hope the refill will work once it's empty. I'll keep quiet mode activated.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Good to hear a new cart did the trick.