Printfab osX now also 4 windows

geocha

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well, i gave it a try and i can say that this software for mac (now also for windows) does a pretty decent job even with some minor adjustments!
once you install it you have a new driver for your printer,in my case ip4600_printfab from which you can control a lot of printer's functions. Here are some pics from the menu:

I have only tried B/W printing and as you can see it DOES work! Choosing "grey photo" it uses all inks combined, "greyscale" uses only the DYE cartridge. I am sure that with a little testing you can get good results but for me now it's over cause am out of ink :( Am waiting octoinks bulks :)

The test image below is calibrated with WhiBal so i think is valid.

The top left photo is printed "as is" with no corrections.
The bottom left and bottom right i used the sliders from the colorsphere. +++Yellow and + Green
The top right is printed using only the DYE based ink of ip4600. Yes, it's completely neutral but there is a little bit of grain and lacks of some details

What do you think? Any experience to share?

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Only Beta for Windows I think, although may give the 30 day trial for the Mac version a go.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
You're right Redbrickman. Only the Windows version is a beta, which you can test for free for the rest of the year. The Mac OS X and Linux versions are not freeware, but you are granted a 30 days free trial.

geocha

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I think is a good software specially for people without a calibration hardware

geocha

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ok, now the cool stuff! In duplex printing, finally the IP4600 uses only the Black pigment to print text!!! :)

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
geocha said:
Ok, now the cool stuff! In duplex printing, finally the IP4600 uses only the Black pigment to print text!!! :)
If the iP4600 is like earlier Canon printers, it uses pigment black when you specify plain paper and dye black when you specify any photo paper. It doesn't matter what you are printing. It will also use dye on plain paper if you specify borderless printing.

geocha

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
geocha said:
If the iP4600 is like earlier Canon printers, it uses pigment black when you specify plain paper and dye black when you specify any photo paper. It doesn't matter what you are printing. It will also use dye on plain paper if you specify borderless printing.
I am talking about the simple duplex printing of ex. 5 pages with black text and graphs. If duplex is enabled from Canon's driver the back page of the paper will be printed with dye ink and not pigment black. This makes duplex printing useless :(

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
I use duplex printing very extensively. The duplex option in the printer driver uses a low intensity mixture of cyan dye & black pigment in normal paper. The printhead has far less nozzles for the dye ink and that's why driver-based duplex printing is slower (aside from the paper flipping and the drying time) and the text doesn't look very crisp.

Canon does that to avoid ink bleeding which is a problem in two-sided documents. They are partially correct, large areas of black pigmented ink on low quality normal paper will definitely bleed.

However good quality ink and good quality normal paper eliminate or at least minimize this problem. For that reason, utilities such as Fineprint or Greenprint are essential to Canon users printing in duplex.

geocha

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
panos said:
I use duplex printing very extensively. The duplex option in the printer driver uses a low intensity mixture of cyan dye & black pigment in normal paper. The printhead has far less nozzles for the dye ink and that's why driver-based duplex printing is slower (aside from the paper flipping and the drying time) and the text doesn't look very crisp.

Canon does that to avoid ink bleeding which is a problem in two-sided documents. They are partially correct, large areas of black pigmented ink on low quality normal paper will definitely bleed.

However good quality ink and good quality normal paper eliminate or at least minimize this problem. For that reason, utilities such as Fineprint or Greenprint are essential to Canon users printing in duplex.
Panos, with printfab you can bypass the dye issue