Printer Profiles 101 - The basics of using profiles for your printer

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The site owners will be responsible for allowing illegal posts. I'm sure they will not want to go there and they will delete them. Even a reference to an illegal file may possibly make them liable. Read your user license carefully. You may do as you wish but the moderators might choose otherwise...they certainly do not wish a court order to close down a site.

George in Georgia

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 100, Epson R1800
Thanks to all for this informative thread! I've refilled the carts on my PRO 100 twice now with Precision Colors inks. Is this enough to enable my making reasonable profiles with ProfilePrism, or should I go another or cycle or two. My Spyder 4 is due to arrive today to replace my Spyder 3, so I'm raring to go!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
So who exactly says, is willing to enforce, such a prohibition?
The manufacturers and their agents as well as any other person so inclined, such as a web site operator. First, though, someone's attention must be aroused and the infraction significant to cause a response.

I have created my own profiles for a number of papers using Cone inks for my 3880, CANON Pro 9000 and Artisan 730, what who is preventing me from posting my profile for use by others using same gear?
What's to prevent you from attempting anything legal or illegal? Actions may have consequences you may (eventually) not welcome. Free will can be complicated.

Its not LEGAL to refill, its not LEGAL to reuse OEM catrs etc.
Maybe in Australia where you live but not in the USA where I reside, excluding whatever your "etc." means. AFAIK, there are no prohibitions to refilling an OEM cartridge in the free world. Very public refilling or aftermarket manufacturing businesses abound all over the world. They would be easy targets for legal action by Canon et al if what you say were correct.

***Edited for clarification on what businesses abound.***

Last edited:

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Mikling

By LERGAL I refer to the fact that it these actions Refilling, Reuse of OEM carts etc. are not legislated in anyones LAW thus the entire issue of legality of self generated profiles - is moot in my opinion.

Unless an action is specifically covered under an International Treaty between the parties, it is unenforceable or so I believe, music share sites breached international treaties on Copyright. I reiterate, who is going to pursue any individual or site for displaying a profile for a particular paper/printer when the various international jurisdictions can't regulate Trade, Crime (as in scammers), and so on, I hear your points, but as far as I am aware, (willing to be corrected) there is nothing and no one who would waste their resources anyway?

Lets put this in perspective from where I sit. Say for the purpose of discussion only: I post a profile say, 3880, Canson Montval 300gsm Watercolour paper. Way I see it ( read Nifty's OP) I can post, and a party can use - provided, again read the instructions by Nifty there is no breach of Copyright, or Sale, or transmission to a third Party.

Who exactly is going to pursue me? Epson? Canson? - to protect what? finally the spectrometer manufacturers.......I can't believe that ANY of the 20-30-40 or more worldwide, would bother to put me on the rack to torture out of me just exactly what brand I used to create the profile in the first place and then persuade the regulators to shut down this site.......I suspect there are far bigger fish to fry :hide

Anyway, this is addressing a trivial and somewhat esoteric part of posts (that did pose a couple of serious on " on topic" questions thus far unaddressed) AND it has the potential to get out of hand and this is not the place or company for "out of hand" :love, AND I need you in a GOOD mood in the coming days....so read on :thumbsup

I still have the refill inks,carts etc, to fill and install in my Canon Pro 9000 after about a year. So much time has elapsed that I have completely lost track of our discussions prior to purchasing this bundle from you so I will be in touch :bow

Cheers,

Andrew

Last edited:

Latest posts