Printer "heirarchy"?

Lumi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I keep hearing things about old printers being the best, like the IP4500, before (or just as) they introduced chipped cartridges. However, it is a pain to find any in good condition and even then, I am a bit skeptical about the condition of the print head.

Is there an actual list or database about the old printers and what the "newer replacement" models are? I mean, what's the current iteration of the IP4500? What exactly is "wrong" with it compared to the 4500? Am I better off getting a relic 4500 or can I make-do with a newer model? Most of the work this printer will do is the occasional picture printout but more likely school projects and game manuals and cooking recipes. So not exactly "industrial strength" required, but will have to do more work than the "average consumer's printer."

Currently there's 2 4500s for sale on eBay, one with a dodgy printhead and another with no power supply. That's my second issue with older printers --- are they junk once the printhead or power supply goes kaput?

Thanks!

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
If I were in the market for a used printer I would ask on this forum first before buying off ebay.
I would trust honesty of the members here over ebay.

PS: I have a used iP4500 in use and I like it a lot.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
Have you looked on craigslist? I look there often and other than my first 4500, craigslist is where I've got each subsequent one. They come up quite often.

You may get lucky and find someone who is willing to ship. Here's one in California with a box (if it's still available):

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/3528847191.html

I bought a point and shoot camera from someone in California off of craigslist, they were initially reluctant to ship the then did. I was very happy with the camera.

Here's another thought, go check out Goodwill. 4500s are just about that age where you may get lucky and find one there cheap! I haven't been in a while but I saw lots of BubbleJets there, 'bout time for some Pixmas I suppose.

Lumi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm in the UK and I've seen a few 4500s go on eBay, but to make the "list" more flexible, it would be great to know what the "4500-line" is, like what's the next model after it (4600?) and what is the latest model available.

The Hat, I've seen your thread but it doesn't mention the 4500 specifically, just the 4000 and 4950. Since they start with "4," does that mean they are of the same "line" of model?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The 4300 and 4500 model printers werent mentioned
because they were not been sold on the open market, I only wish they were.

The next models after the 4500 was the 46, 47 and so on but the latest ones like the new generation 7250
are not worth getting because they are reputed to have a drink problem i.e. ink, (Especially if you refill).

There is no resetter yet, and last but not least there also poorly built (All plastic), but they do have WiFi. Wow.. ;)

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Lumi said:
I'm in the UK and I've seen a few 4500s go on eBay, but to make the "list" more flexible, it would be great to know what the "4500-line" is, like what's the next model after it (4600?) and what is the latest model available.

The Hat, I've seen your thread but it doesn't mention the 4500 specifically, just the 4000 and 4950. Since they start with "4," does that mean they are of the same "line" of model?
Newer is not always better! The ip4500 has the reputation to be excellent and also the last of the really good builds. It uses the cli-8 and pgi-5 carts, and there is a resetter available for that series. very good inks for that series of printers are available in the UK from Octoinks. If you have anything like Craig's list, which we have in the US, you can limit your search to your local area and make arrangements to test a used printer before you buy it. I have a few ip5000 printers in reserve - really a fine printer that uses the unchipped carts. The ip4000 was an excellent printer, but it is much older. It would be unusual to find one that is functioning well and would last a long time. I also picked up a few ip4300's on craigs list - one for my granddaughter who is in the fourth grade. Perfect for what she needs. The ip4200, from what I've been told is much slower and has a smaller printhead, so the print quality might not be as good.

The fact is that every printer I've bought locally on Craigs list has been in excellent condition and functioned perfectly. I'm very careful, however to be selective. Anyone who advertises a printer but says that it is out of some colors of ink tells me that you may have a printhead problem or, at the very least, a printhead that needs cleaning. Anyone who has used refilling is suspect unless it is a person who has the experince that participants on the forum have. If they advertise it with extra ink carts that are not OEM I stay away.

Lumi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
What do you mean "drink problem"? The inks leak? I've no interest in WiFi; the only reason I am asking about "newer" is because they are more available and I would think that if I needed a new printhead, that Canon will still have one.

fotofreek, I did have a look at the local Craigslist, but no joy. I did find some on eBay but have failed to win the bids. You've mentioned a few other printer models there, 5000, 4200, and 4300. Perhaps it would be easier if I were to ask for a handful of printer models that I should be on the lookout for?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The models to watch out for are the ones that use the BCI-6 and CLI-8 cartridges these are the jewels in the crown
and failing that go for the ones that use the CLI- 221 / Cli-521.

There are still quite a lot of the Pro9000 on sale, its a bit bigger than the normal A4 printers but well worth getting one,
all of the above carts are easy to fill and there are resetters and inks readily available.. :)

Lumi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
The models to watch out for are the ones that use the BCI-6 and CLI-8 cartridges these are the jewels in the crown
and failing that go for the ones that use the CLI- 221 / Cli-521.
Yes, but is there a list of this somewhere? At the moment, what I'm doing is looking at individual printers and trying to determine what carts they work with, which isn't really very time-efficient. Again, I know of your thread but the list there is rather narrow.