Printer for postcards

Anastassia

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson
Hello,

I am new to the forum. Could not find any info on the printer I am looking for. Decided to create a new thread. I want print out postcards at home and looking for a good quality printer

Requirements are :

1. Good quality prints out. (If possible resistant to water - but not vital)
2. Able to print on the paper up to 300 gsm
3. A3 format.

At the moment the only printer I found is EPSON L1800. Would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks

Anastassia

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
so you plan to print A3 sheets and cut them down to postcard format ? What do you plan for the other side ? Printing some lines for the address and mark the stamp location ? You need to look for a photo paper people can easily write on which is not the case with better PE/RC photopapers which are laminated with a very thin layer of a polyethylene.
There are plenty photo printers in A3 format on the market, it's a question whether you want to do refill, or tend to Canon or Epson, Epson offers the 1500W, and the SC-P400 and P600 as heavy duty models. The L1800 is a kind of 1500W without WLAN and a preinstalled tank system which makes printing of higher volumes very conventient. Other members can recommend you the correspondig Canon models. The water resistance of a ink jet coated paper is pretty good on the front side, a paper/fibrous type back side would just soak up the water like ordinary paper.

Anastassia

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson
Hello
Thank you for reply!
A3 format I am going to use for illustration prints only. A4 to print out postcards and cut them to required size.
Forgot to mention that price of the inks also quite important aspect.
Do you think SC-600 will give you a better printouts than L1800 ? If you have come across with those printer - is it cheaper to run L1800 or price of each print out will be approximately the same ?

Thank you

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Are you looking for a postcard A4 printer and an A3 printer ? There would be an L800 as an A4 Epson printer with an integrated tank system, and inks to use at your choice - cheap inks or inks with very good UV/fade resistance as dye inks. The P600 Epson printer works with cartridges, refill is possible, you would need to invest into a separate refill cartridge set, this model uses pigment inks, the 1500W/L1800 uses dye inks. Both models can do very good prints - it's not just a matter of the printer, but a combination of inks and papers on a particular printer. I's important to know what you expect in terms of print quality - I cannot really derive that from 'illustration prints only' - The P600 may be an overkill - I don't know.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Anastassia, From a Canon Pro printer point of view, they will print just about any job but there’re especially good at handling heavy cart stock right up to 350 gm no problem.

Coloured postcards are normally done on 250 gm. so you’ll need digital card stock that has the same surface on both sides for two sided printing, there’re are two models that would work very well for you and both can be easy refilled, to reduce ink costs considerably.

The Pro 100 and Pro 10 are very much the same machines in terms of size and output and only differ in the types of ink they use, the Pro 100 uses dye ink and the Pro 10 uses pigment, they are not the cheapest printer in the UK but are amongst the very best on the market today..

Anastassia

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson
Thanks you very much ! you have been very helpful and helped me a lot !

Latest posts