Printer can't "see" a cartridge

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
I've had this issue with my iP4500 and now on my PRO-100.

The cartridge clicks in, it lights up. You close the top lid and after it has done its machinations, fourteen flashes of the orange light. Open the lid, the cartridge is dark. Rinse, lather, repeat....and repeat....and, etc.

It is a refilled Canon cartridge, not had this issue previously.

I expect some new Canon cartridges to arrive on Monday. Maybe it's the cartridge.

Since I've had this happen several times on two printers, does this ring a bell for anyone? Any thoughts?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
If it's a refilled cartridge, the chip contacts might be a bit dirty or oxidized. Clean them with a small rag or paper soaked in alcohol. Check that when you reinsert the cart in the printhead, the led lights steadily. If it flickers a bit, then the electrical contact is not good. Therefore when you close the lid and the carriage moves back and forth, the contact is lost, the printer can't see the cart and an error is triggered.
That happens to me now and then in my Pro10s and also time ago with other Canon printers. Those carts weren't made to be refilled, resetted and reinserted time and time again. The chip contacts wear with time.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Since I've had this happen several times on two printers, does this ring a bell for anyone? Any thoughts?
It sounds to me like the resetter maybe at fault, and not resetting the chips properly, there are two ways of using these redsetters, one it to wait till you get a good continues red light and the other (Newer way) is to wait till the red light goes out.

So are you using the right resetter for the chip your intending to reset, the two redsetters look the same but react differently with each type of chip..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
A damaged or incorrectly reset chip is very possible also but, notice that the OP said that when he inserts the cart in the slot, the led lights up. In all likelihood, if the chip was damaged or badly reset it would give an error right away before closing the lid. IMHO, the symptoms that Paul Verizzo described point to oxidized contacts. Anyway, let's wait and see. He's the only one who can check it.

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
Thanks for all the thoughts, guys. In the post I said I was getting some new cartridges, but the new ones were for my iP4500. OBS.... Old Brain Syndrome.

I'm away from home for over a week, will continue when I get back.