Printer asking for reset code

GeekStyle59

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I haven't been on the forum for quite a while. I have been very happily using and refilling my printer. However, yesterday, as I was printing on my Epson 1400 I got that dreaded message about the insides needing help to which Epson's response is, of course, buy a new printer. I bought this one refurbished in the fall of 2010 and have had no problems up to now. I've done my research and even got the reset code without a problem. I've watched videos on youtube to figure out what I need to do so will be buying some aquarium airline and connectors and just hook things up to an old ink bottle. My question is this. A couple of days before this message popped up, the printer made a horrible sound as it went back into position after a refill. It did it once more after a head cleaning yesterday. Does this suggest that something other than the waste ink pads are the problem? If not, is it relatively safe to run the reset code and send out just three more prints before getting the waste system hooked up? Oh, I run the refillable ink carts on this machine, not a CIS.

Many thanks in advance!

Jean

santer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The horrible noise would bother me more than the reset.

Can you lift the lid and watch the travel etc when you replace a cartridge.

If it is the first time you have had a waste ink message then three prints should be fine

GeekStyle59

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for your answer santer. I just did ask you requested x2. The first time, it traveled left fine, but, on returning to the right, it made that terrible nosie again only not so bad as before. Then it continued it's cycle without further incidence. I repeated to see if it would make the noise again but it didn't. I also know, just from knowing my machine, that it was in the same place the other two times it made that noise. Any further ideas?

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I have two 1400s and though it has never made that noise, Ihave had one printer do that and it was an obstruction which cause the gears to jump making a huge racket. Over than that I can't thnk of anything else that would create than racket.
By the way I have the adjustment program for the USA 1400 tp reset the waste ink counters.
If you are in the USA and know how to properly use these tools I can send you it. However unlike the WIC with the sinple reset key code, If you are not carefull with an Adustment Program you could accidentally screw up your EEPRON printer chip.

GeekStyle59

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yes, I am in the USA. I did get the resset code from epson but now I can't find it in my Downloads folder. I have never done this before, but I am pretty savvy with computers. Given your warning, I would be extra careful and abort if I have an unanswerable question in the process. Skipping a gear sounds like a possibility, too.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
That free reset codes from epson will only do a partial reset it so you can get a few more pritns done. If you lost it, you can download another by resubmitting your info to Epson. But the only true way to reset both counters to zero is with the correct Adjustment Program or the WIC tool plus a paid for Key #.

The only danger is in the many tools that work with the printers firmware and perform internal changes to the EEPRON. The only portion to use is the section for reading and resetting the waste ink counters. Also the Adjustment Programs for older printers such as yours, only work when run from an XP machine and maybe Vista. The newer ones will work on win7. Since I have over 15 printers, I have to have a deicated laptop loaded with all the printer drivers and the Adjustment Programs. Some will work in compatability mode in Win7 and some will not.

On the subject of the noise, do you see anything getting stuck during the head travel?

GeekStyle59

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just ran the Epson utility and it tells me I don't need to run it because the ink waste pads are not full. Also ran the cartridge bank as if ready to refill, but got no weird noses either. Should I figure that it was a fluke? Maybe something WAS jammed and worked itself free? Or stay cautious for now?

santer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Is the error message still showing?

I have a PX800FW which makes a few weird noises when switching to and from the CD Tray

You can use WIC Reset to read the counters free

http://www.epsonreset.com/

Always be cautious with an Epson :)

GeekStyle59

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've run my 3 prints, but, yes, the error message is stil showing. My system refuses to link to your reset link. Will try again later. Thank you!