Printable Dvd Recommendations For A Canon Mg5320.

InkFu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought a pack of RiData InkJet Hub Printables (DRD-4716-RDIW50N2) (www.meritline.com/ritek-ridata-16x-dvd-r-white-inkjet-hub-printable---p-18395.aspx) to use with my printer and the results were far from good. The printed disc appears to be cover in tiny bubbles and it looks like an image off an old 256 color monitor. It was kind of a shock because I've printed on other Ridata printables that about 4 or 5 years old without a problem. Anyways does anyone know of a brand/model of inkjet hub printables that will work well on a MG5320.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
In general, stick with Taiyou Yuden (and JVC), Verbatim and Falcon Media inkjet printables for both best surface for printing as well as best at low error burns when it comes to CD and DVD recordable disks. Verbatims can often times be purchased in big box stores. TY and Falcon are purchased online usually. Disks made in Japan may give you the best burns when you consider error counts, although Verbatim and Falcon make the best dual layer blanks IMO and these can be from Asia and the UAE (United Arab Emirates).

If you are interested in learning more, especially from the standpoint of what disks burn with the lowest errors for your specific DVD burner (for increased longevity and better playback compatibility) as well as discussions on printable, disks then check out http://club.myce.com/. In general, if the disk was manufactured in Japan then it will probably burn as good as it gets. However, superbly burning disks can be found from other countries of manufacture. It all depends on your DVD burner and whose MID (Manufacturer's ID) is on the disk.

For media purchase over the internet in the USA, I have used Rima.com, SuperMediaStore.com and MediaSupply.com with never a problem. The differences are in one shop may have a disk type that the others do not or the price may be better from one when you factor in shipping. There are other internet places that may give good results but between the three above I always had good experiences.

I will not buy from Meritline again as they once sold me B-stock Taiyo Yudens they represented as A-stock. On top of that the disks were designated for Mexico consumption - a big no-no the manufacturer and distributor was not happy about. While there is a Valueline of B-Stock that is marked as such for sale in the US and elsewhere, the disks I received from Meritline were not for US sale at all. This was confirmed by Taiyo Yuden to me. TY was not happy at all.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
You are welcome. As I have some time to post and am on a roll... :D

There are several types of surfaces just like there are more than one type of photographic paper: matte, semi-glossy, glossy, "waterproof", silver. Each has their purpose as well as visual preference from the customer. There are also specific coating types to be used with different printer types - Inkjet versus Everest or Thermal printables - so make sure you order the correct printable surface type for your printer . In your case it would be "inkjet" of course.

The brand of disk you purchase also will have its own specific character to the printable surface which will give different results when compared to another brand's printable surface. This is similar to photographic paper and in the old days - 35mm film. Results vary. Some look good to me while others do not. It's personal preference in general, but, as you have discovered, some printable media looks crappy no matter who you are.

I have used all printable media types from Taiyo Yuden - my brand of choice except for DVD DL. Each printable surface type had its utility for me. When TY joined with JVC they released a semi-gloss disk called PrintPlus. At first I thought I had received bad disks because the image had an orange peel appearance. Otherwise it was a semi-gloss as expected. The disks looked this way on purpose. And this appearance mimics some manufactured disks. So, as I said, each printable surface type has a use, including the printable Silver which I use with discs I just want a list of files and not a faithful color reproduction, though there is a faint 3-D appearance to the image/text that can be interesting.

Currently sitting on my desk are Falcon Media DVD+R DL Inkjet Printable from UAE and Taiyo Yuden CDR White Watershield. I have every printable media type from Taiyo Yuden / JVC, some from Verbatim and few odds and ends from other MID's.

My advice is to buy quality disks first. Ritek may or may not be a low error burning disc for your specific make and model DVD burner. Then select a printable media that you think will match your desired output. Your inkjet printer should perform as expected for that printable media type.

InkFu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well I ordered the Verbatim AquaAce glossy printables and the end results were quite stellar. Much more impressive then the printing on must commercially pressed DVDs. Again, Thanks for the help :thumbsup

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Excellent! Happy printing! :ya

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Those work wonderfully on Epson Artisan printers. Specially if the Disc holder is the type that it's and integral part of the printer. Perfect alignment every time.

Joe

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
Inkfu,

When you use up your AquaAce discs be forewarned not to get any of the Taiyo Yuden discs. I was a long time user of the Taiyo Yuden when I was using my Canon ip5000 printers (I had 2 modified to accept CD's). They are an excellent disc for retaining data and gave excellent burns. But, unfortunately, when both of my ip5000's bit the dust and I bought a Canon MP640 there was a problem. It seems that the Taiyo Yuden came out of the printer with 4 wheel lines across them. I never could figure why. Many people thought that the Taiyo Yuden's were a few thousands thicker than other discs but when measured with a micrometer they were the same thickness as any other disc. The AquaAce's worked perfectly fine in my Mp640 with no lines on them. Just a heads up for you in the future.