Print quality - standard vs high

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
vladojko said:
One more update... I removed again print head, cleaned it once more with Windex clone and I left it on folded paper towel laying in 1 cm Windex, I am planning to leave it overnight. When I pressed the head against the towel, ink was going out from all input ports, so I suppose that black is not clogged completely.

Also, the sponge in the printer that is below print head is filled with the fresh black ink (liquid, not dried). I suppose it is coming from nozzle cleanings that i performed or from some earlier leakage. When i took the print head from the printer, on its bottom there was some black ink.

Now after switching back to OEM cartridges I do not have any more ideas what else could be the problem except the print head. Does anyone have any clue what else could I do in attempt to fix this printer?
Is the sponge you report here the small rectangular parking pad where the print head rests? Or is it the long sponge that The Hat circled in his post?

Looking at your nozzle test print, it appears PGBK isn't completely being cleaned of ink by the wipers (part of the purge mechanism). Residual ink on the bottom of the print head can cause ejected droplets to be blocked or mis-directed. This can also be caused by a leaking cart, flooding the print head.

Wayne

vladojko

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Final update for today:

I did not clean bottom sponge tonight as it would be too messy, I will do it over the weekend. I just filled PGBK cartridge with photo ink as advised by The Hat, and cleaned the head in W5. I had to do 10 or 12 cleaning cycles (no deep cleaning) until my nozzle check pattern looked ok again. I tried printing one page of text, and i had same "italic" effect as I had before. I did auto head aligning process and the italic effect is almost gone... I could live with the results

Thanks a lot for the help! I just have final question: does it hurt to use photo ink permanently in the big cartridge? Or, is it safe now to put back 520 ink in the PGBG cartridge?

vladojko

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
turbguy said:
Is the sponge you report here the small rectangular parking pad where the print head rests? Or is it the long sponge that The Hat circled in his post?

Looking at your nozzle test print, it appears PGBK isn't completely being cleaned of ink by the wipers (part of the purge mechanism). Residual ink on the bottom of the print head can cause ejected droplets to be blocked or mis-directed. This can also be caused by a leaking cart, flooding the print head.

Wayne
It is a long sponge that I was talking about. I did not clean it tonight, I will do it over the weekend, but after refilling with photo ink, making sure that cartrige is well sealed and doing 10+ cleaning cycles, I have nice looking nozzle check pattern

http://www.totaltv.be/images/SCN_0006.jpg

bottom black line although look bit strange, not 100% flat...

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Yes, your nozzle pattern on PGBK looks acceptable.

Wayne

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
vladojko said:
Thanks a lot for the help! I just have final question: does it hurt to use photo ink permanently in the big cartridge? Or, is it safe now to put back 520 ink in the PGBG cartridge?
You can use photo black in your large cartridges as long as you like if wont cause any harm to your printer,
but if you decide to change back to using the pigment black it would be advisable to purge the cartridge first before using it.

The only real difference is you may see a little better quality in your text documents
and of course the pigment text will be almost water and highlighter proof..