Prevent clogging

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hi,

In a few weeks, I will move back to my home country (Italy).

I use Colorbat ink cartridges and due to the move, most probably my printer will stay out of activity for at least one week.

What can I do to prevent clogging?

Should I keep the cartridges in the printer of take them out?

Should I take the printhead out?

Since the move is going to be in July, it will be very hot in the lorry, I'm talking about 40C as external temperature, which means even higher in the lorry.

I have the original packaging of my i865.

Any suggestion is very welcome!

Thank you
Alex

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
If it's a canon printhead you can always take it out and vaccum seal it with your cartridges in one of those air tight containers that are in every supermarket nowadays..

What I'm not so sure about is whether to add a dampened cloth (with distilled water not regular water) over the printhead output or not.. I'm sure someone can help with that though..

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
websnail said:
If it's a canon printhead you can always take it out and vaccum seal it with your cartridges in one of those air tight containers that are in every supermarket nowadays..

What I'm not so sure about is whether to add a dampened cloth (with distilled water not regular water) over the printhead output or not.. I'm sure someone can help with that though..
Hi,

Why should vacuuming prevent clogging??

In this case, I believe that dryness may cause clogging, of course, vacuum helps to avoid dust etc, but still the ink will dry.

Thanks
Alex

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Metallo said:
Ah... sorry, I mean just airtight seal... I had my "not quite with it head" on when I first wrote that post..

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
websnail said:
Metallo said:
Ah... sorry, I mean just airtight seal... I had my "not quite with it head" on when I first wrote that post..
Hi,

Still I do not see the connection, of course I will put printhead and cartridges in a clean environment, like you suggest, airtight bag, but clogging can still occur or am I missing something somewhere?

Alex

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Metallo said:
Still I do not see the connection, of course I will put printhead and cartridges in a clean environment, like you suggest, airtight bag, but clogging can still occur or am I missing something somewhere?
Ok... the thing is that the more air that's circulating and getting to your printhead the more your printhead and any ink in it will dry out. If you can humidify the air or at least stop the air dehumidifying your printhead for that week you'll be getting a mild clog compared to one with the printhead left out normally.

Bottom line, you don't want the printhead to dry out so this will help minimise it :)

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
websnail said:
Metallo said:
Ok... the thing is that the more air that's circulating and getting to your printhead the more your printhead and any ink in it will dry out. If you can humidify the air or at least stop the air dehumidifying your printhead for that week you'll be getting a mild clog compared to one with the printhead left out normally.

Bottom line, you don't want the printhead to dry out so this will help minimise it :)
See your point man... it would be idea to keep it humid, but how?
Even putting a dampened cloth, with that heat will dry in 3 minutes...

Suggestions?

Alex

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Metallo said:
See your point man... it would be idea to keep it humid, but how?
Even putting a dampened cloth, with that heat will dry in 3 minutes...
Which is why I've suggested putting it all in an airtight bag..

Air will only absorb so much moisture from the environment so if you limit the amount of air it shouldn't all dry out...

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Here's what I do. I do exactly what websnail says. Then, if your printhead does not work after your trip, just rinse the screens in your printhead in warm water under a tap. Shake out the water, hold a paper towel on the bottom of the printhead for a minute, re-insert the cartridges, and print. Should work every time.

Good Luck!!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Manuchau said:
Here's what I do. I do exactly what websnail says. Then, if your printhead does not work after your trip, just rinse the screens in your printhead in warm water under a tap. Shake out the water, hold a paper towel on the bottom of the printhead for a minute, re-insert the cartridges, and print. Should work every time.
And if you've been a bit careless and managed to get water over the circuit board.. dry that carefully too and then wait a little bit so you don't short circuit the circuit board..

Someone did suggest using alcohol to just go over everything after the water as that evaporates very quickly and reduces the chance of a short.