1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: How to take pictures of gloss differential properly?
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Precision inks shelf life

Discussion in 'Canon InkJet Printers' started by mikem65d, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Mar 17, 2017
    mikem65d

mikem65d Printer Guru

Printer Model:
    Canon Pro-100, ip6600D, i900D
    I have several sets for several printers that are all a month past the "best used by" date.
    Have kept all ink in a dry cool closet.
    I don't smell any fungal smells, but am wondering if i should continue to use, or dump and replace..........anyone know the answer?

I did send Mike an email, but he may be gone or behind in answering, so i figure it might make a good topic for discussion here.

2. Mar 17, 2017
    Roy Sletcher

Roy Sletcher Indolent contrarian Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880

At 10 bucks or thereabout for 4 oz of refill inks, why take a chance?

Whether opened or not, and storage condition may be a factor. Will be interesting to see what Mike says.

rs

3. Mar 17, 2017
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon Rule in My House
    @mikem65d, Most of my inks are several years old and I have some going back as far as 2009, I have yet to suffered from fungal or bacterial infestation from any of my sealed bottled inks...

I use the same dye inks in 4 of my printers and the same pigment inks in 3 others, so if I were to experience an infestation of any sort, then it would make itself known very quickly, because I’d have the same issues across each affected printer, an epidemic is much easier to spot that a lone infection.

Once you practice a clean and healthy refilling procedure then there should be no need to toss away any out of date ink, there is nothing wrong with the ink, except there is no guarantee after such date, it will in fact work safely for years with proper hygiene controls in place.

I have a policy of never dumping good ink until proven otherwise, and that has never happened yet, I always rinse my empty refill bottles before refilling them, I have never attempted to drink my ink but if I did I wouldn’t die from infection, but I’d be still dead...Ops.. :tongue

4. Mar 17, 2017
    Ink stained Fingers

Ink stained Fingers Printer Master

Printer Model:
    R265, L300, L800, Pro 7600
    yes, I only can confirm that, just don't fill back ink from cartridges into the original ink bottle to reduce the risk of infestation. If you would collect ink from partially empty cartridges just use a separate bottle . And pigment inks may need some agitation after a longer shelf time - after several months - to prevent settling of pigments, but beyond that I don't see a risk with inks under normal storage conditions.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    palombian, The Hat and Roy Sletcher like this.
  5. Mar 20, 2017
    InkFu

InkFu Getting Fingers Dirty

I had some ink from precision colors for my mg5320 that started turning to globs. However the bottle had been open long before the expiration date and didn't start turning to goo till a year after. I'm so glad I have a pro-100 now refilling is much better and I don't see myself having stored ink like before.

Edit: I do remember it happening the black especially but I don't know if it was the pigment or the dye.

6. Mar 20, 2017
    The Hat

Printer Model:
    Canon Rule in My House
    It’s very important to keep air away from ink as much as possible, and only expose it during refilling, you also need to keep the lids on the ink bottles and a scarab on all your Easy refill needles...

mikem65d likes this.
  7. Mar 25, 2017
    mikem65d

mikem65d Printer Guru

Printer Model:
    Canon Pro-100, ip6600D, i900D
    appreciate the replies everyone.
    The only 2 bottles of ink from PC i have smelled fungal activity were the PM and M from the first purchase set for the Pro-100, and those were replaced with Mike's upgraded version set for the B,PM, and M.
    Man they smelled bad too...............tossed em on the weeds:sick

8. Mar 25, 2017
    The Hat

Printer Model:
    Canon Rule in My House
    I have yet to find an ink that does smell nice... :hu

mikem65d and ice-t like this.