Precision Colors PC72SE-M*2* Pro-10 ink

BrightGuy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Two years passed since I completely replaced the PC72V2+OEM-R inkset with the SE+OEM-R one. Like I reported on a previous topic, a considerable improvement in many aspects. Less bronzing, less gloss differential, larger gamut on greens and other hues, but it lost a bit on the reds and purples, specially those mid to shadow saturated ones. On photo RC papers, while gamut narrowed on those hues, still reaches enough saturated mid-to-shadow reds/purples. On fineart papers though, like Hahnemühle Museum Etching, the difference becomes visible and sometimes almost untolerable because of banding and/or a too low gamut floor on those reds.

Now, at the time of a new order placement, I was considering replacing the PC72SE-M with Magenta OEM, in order to solve/mitigate the reported gamut problem. However, I came across a new Magenta for the Pro-10 on Precision Colors website, the PC72SE-M2.

Does anyone know what is the improvement of this ink (PC72SE-M2) compared to the previous PC72SE-M?

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I never observed a lack of gamut in PC72SE-M (nor in other colours, except R, being replaced by OEM).
The gamut of PC Signature Edition is the most close to OEM of the inks I tried.
(for different reasons I only use the CO at this moment)

On the site there is indeed a mention of PC72SE-M2 but this is not available on the order form.
@mikling most probably knows why.

IMO banding has nothing to do with gamut.

PS: Since Precision Colors doesn't provides a profile for the mentioned Hahnemühle paper, it seems obvious to me you should make a custom profile. PC sells inks at a fraction of the OEM price, how could you expect he delivers profiles for a myriad of papers ?
No free lunch.
This paper is so expensive the cost of the ink won't make a difference, I really do not understand what you mean with this post.

Last edited:

BrightGuy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I never observed a lack of gamut in PC72SE-M (nor in other colours, except R, being replaced by OEM).
The gamut of PC Signature Edition is the most close to OEM of the inks I tried.
(for different reasons I only use the CO at this moment)

On the site there is indeed a mention of PC72SE-M2 but this is not available on the order form.
@mikling most probably knows why.

IMO banding has nothing to do with gamut.

PS: Since Precision Colors doesn't provides a profile for the mentioned Hahnemühle paper, it seems obvious to me you should make a custom profile. PC sells inks at a fraction of the OEM price, how could you expect he delivers profiles for a myriad of papers ?
No free lunch.
This paper is so expensive the cost of the ink won't make a difference, I really do not understand what you mean with this post.
Thanks for your reply. I use i1pro/i1profiler and >2000 patch targets for my own profiles. In fact the lack of gamut on these shadow saturated reds/purples (compared to OEM-only inkset or to the PC72V2 with OEM-R) is visible even using PC Argyll-made profiles for other matte papers while soft proofing fineart and old painting materials. I do not print only on Hahnemuehle Museum Etching papers nor sell prints. Also, OEM cartridges for the Pro-10 will add much more purged ink because it's not economically viable to replace all the cartridges at once.

Could Mikling kindly give some clarification regarding the PC72SE-M2 ink?

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Do you mean the reds are less saturated only with PC72SE Red ?
Precision Colors never told otherwise and advises OEM-R (their own R isn't for sale anymore).

Changing carts consumes 2,4-4ml per color, it's not the end of the world and a small price to pay to enhance your inkset at an affordable cost.
There are several sources of bulk OEM ink.
In case you fear for the waste pads, the counter can be reset and the tubes guided outside just in case.

BrightGuy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I used PC red ink only many years ago, when I immediately found that it was not suitable for printing my picture files.

As for ink consumption, 2.4-4mL x 5 (12-20mL!), each time a given cartridge runs out of ink. Since each cartridge usually ends up in its own time, it is a huge waste of ink (and money), not to say wastepad and printhead lifespan. I will try to contact Mike privately for the PC72SE-M2 thing. In the meantime, could you please share a link to a method of waste counter reset the meter tubes diversion?

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Sorry, it is maximum 4ml in total.
I suppose you are acquainted with the procedure to change all carts together and why.

How to reset the WIC on PRO-10 has to be discussed on this forum.
It never happened until now, no panic.