Possible print head problem with IP4500

erpp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have an IP4500 which suddenly started printing about three lines of text, and leaving the following three lines blank; repeating this throughout the page.
The printer is just over 3 years old, and has only seen light use.
A nozzle check showed that the upper half of the PGBK pattern was missing, as shown below (there were also some problems with the color patterns),

Sorry, but I have not found out how to embed the nozzle check image here - it already is in the "uploads" of the forum.

I removed the print head, and soaked it for about 18 hours in the cleaning solution formula given by The Pharmacist, in this same forum - using a folded paper towel soaked in cleaning solution for this purpose.
This did not seem to have any effect of the PGBK pattern of the nozzle check, the color patterns did seem to be affected but please see below.

Sorry, but I have not found out how to embed the nozzle check image here - it already is in the "uploads" of the forum.

Could this be a sign that the upper half of the PGBK nozzles are not working ? Does it point to a defective print head ?
If it were so, there would be no need to go any deeper into the problems that seem to show for the color nozzles.
I would very much appreciate your help with this situation.

Thanks in advance ,

Will be glad to include the images as soon as I find out how to do it - it is probably hitting me in the face, but I cant see it. I had included the file names of the images I uploaded to the forum, but they only came out as urls, I could not get them to show the actual image. When I tried to post, I received a message that brand new members could not include any urls in their posts.
Anyway, it is not that hard to imagine the PGBK pattern with the upper half missing. Thanks again,

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
erpp
After one or two postings youll be able to upload your nozzle check here.
Try up loading both, the one before cleaning and then the one after ok.. :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Do you get any error messages?

Approximately how long between the last time the printer performed properly and the commencement of missing text? (ie how long between usage of the printer?)

You may continue to soak the print head in Pharmacist's solution while awaiting a determination from the forum on your nozzle checks.

erpp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi The Hat,

Thanks for your response.
I have uploaded both nozzle checks to the forum, but I cant figure out a way to get them into my posts.

Will try again to see if they go, this time:

Before cleaning:

8816_nozzle_check_0911_-_1.jpg

After cleaning:

8816_nozzle_check_1111_-_1.jpg

Thanks again

erpp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Stratman,

It was not very long in between the last good printing and the bad one - perhaps a week, more or less.
I did not try to keep on with the soaking, because I thought that this might point o an electronics problem.
Nevertheless, my experience on the subject is very limited, and I might well be wrong - it would be great if the print head was still good.

Thanks again,

erpp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Stratman, forgot to mention in previous post - no error messages.

erpp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi The Hat,

Errata in my post that included the nozzle check images, when I wrote "Before cleaning", "After cleaning", I meant before and after soaking the print head.
No the cleaning process performed by the printer. Sorry about this.

erpp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Additional information I should have posted:

- Repeated "Cleaning" and "Deep Cleaning" cycles, using the printer maintenance software, did not have any effect on the missing upper half of the PGBK pattern in the nozzle check.
- The purge system seems to be working well - there is no ink accumulation on either of the purge pads.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
The iP4500s pigment black has a longer dump tube path than the color dump tube. Dried ink in this dump tube can cause the purge pump not to suck enough ink through the pigment cleaning pad. Placing a few drops of Windex or just hot water on the pigment and color cleaning pad every time you change a cartridge will help keep the purge pump working properly.

This may not be the cause of your problem but is good maintenance.

Picture of purge pump pads.
2056_ink_026a.jpg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I see the top portion of the Pigment Black nozzle check is missing. Also The Cyan had a clog that cleared after print head soaking. You also developed a problem with Yellow after soaking, which could either be a clog or ink starvation from a malfunctioning cartridge (vapor-locked, so to speak, not letting ink exit the cartridge, and may require a flush of the cartridge.). Until you get all the dye inks to print properly in a nozzle check, including the now problematic Yellow, then do not print anything but nozzle checks. Same goes for the Pigment Black ink.

The Yellow problem may clear after more soakings. The Pigment Black, however, may be a malfunctioning print head and not just a clog since there appears to be a symmetrical complete loss of ink. The absolute worst case scenario is a failed logic board assay, which is supposed to display an error message.

I would still attempt further soaking as the cost is negligible compared to the price of a new print head. You might even run tap water down onto the bottom or top of the print head to try and dislodge and clear a clog. How long might soaking take? One day, two days, three days,...? No one can say except your own patience level before either the supposed clogs clear or you have had enough and buy another print head.