Possible damage from re-fills

Fabphoto

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Aside from running dry and burning the print head is there anything else a re-filled
third party cartridge can do to ruin the printer?

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Fabphoto said:
Aside from running dry and burning the print head is there anything else a re-filled
third party cartridge can do to ruin the printer?
I don't mean to be flip with my answer. The real question is --- would burning out a printhead be worth not using OEM carts if they are capable of being refilled? Because of the high price of replacement printheads, burning nozzles and rendering the printhead useless pretty much consigns the printer to the junk heap unless you want to invest in a new printhead.

In addition to running out of ink, if the cartridge is of lesser quality than an OEM there is a possibility of poor feeding characteristics which can also starve the nozzles and cause damage. If this is the case you will usually see "banding". The banding may go away initially with a cleaning cycle, but it then returns of the ink feed is poor. it will probably burn out nozzles eventually.

Fabphoto

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks.

I'm old, retired, and prone to ask dumb questions about things that are new to me..

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Fab said:
I'm old, retired, and prone to ask dumb questions
You will find a lot of like minded folks here mate:)

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Fab - definitely not a dumb question! There are some inks that are poor quality and can also clog printhead nozzles. In addition, it is best to avoid "universal" refill inks. Different manufacturers use much different technology in how the printhead works. Inks for each have different characteristics. I've seen these universal refill inks online or in stores such as office depot. Refill only with inks formulated specifically for your printer. There are a few brands and vendors that are recommended on this forum because participants have found them to have good color response and are safe for their printers.