Please Help!! I have Problem my Canon MP610 Black not printing good

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Like mikling said - they don't make them like that any more. If I were the lucky owner of an all-in one of the PGI-5/CLI-8 generation, I would replace the print head. The price of the print head seems reasonable to me. I would have to pay twice that here in Denmark.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Canon Sales generally are the least expensive place to buy print heads from, especially those that use the CLI-8 and PGI-5 cartridges. the print head for my MP830 was significantly less expensive via Canon than anywhere else.

Currently, Canon is rationing print heads of at least one older model, such as my MP830, and probably more models. You can only get one at a time as of 10 days ago and Canon is keeping track of who buys in order to prevent aholes who purchase multiples and them reselling them on eBay (or wherever) for sizable profits. I asked if the devastation in Japan had anything to do with the rationing as was told no.

I looked at the business Mikling posted on, first on ResellersRatings.com and then on Google. I would rather go through Canon than them regardless of OSD's pricing. To each his own.

Lastly, your print head is toast for Pigment Black ink printing. It could be due to a malfunctioning logic board, but those errors usually give an error message. Symmetric misfires like yours are not due to clogs -- unless your print head is one in a exceedingly large number that needs differential calculus and pi to figure out. The most likely fix for you is a new print head (though there is a slight chance it is due to the logic board or another part). Given the functionality and ease of refilling, the price of a new print head is a small price to invest in reviving the printer.

If you don't care to try a new print head, sell the printer as is with full disclosure. You will be able to get some money back. (cueing ghwellsjr ;))

alaa945

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
hello guys

1st thanks for all of you

but now there is another possibility that the main board or any other part is the problem
so how can i know? because i am afraid to buy new printhead and the problem still present.

2nd from where can i get canon print head original?

3rd can you help me how can i open this Canon mp610
really i cant and afraid to harm it.
it is excellent closed
i want to reach purge units and tube to clean it
please how can be opened

4th if i fill the all carts with windex and do deep cleaning, can i wash it and refill it again with ink and use it or i cant?

thanks

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
1) If it were a logic board malfunction then one would expect an error message. Failed print heads usually give no error message. These are typical behaviors but there is always a small risk otherwise. The odds are it is the print head, but none of us here are clairvoyant and could be incorrect.

2) I look on the internet using google and I call Canon to get a price from them. You can find your print head model number by searching google or eBay using the criteria "Canon MP610 print head" or some such derivation.

3) Someone else will have to help you for this request.

4) Cartridges filled with Windex may be purged and then refilled with ink. Sage advice by a few wise forum members recommend letting the cartridges with Windex sit over the purge pads for hours to days instead of repeated deep cleanings alone. Have extreme patience for the Windex to sit and seep into the print head and purge pads (and tubing). You may be rewarded. You may not.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I strongly recommend that you do not do any cleaning operations on the printhead, nor take the printer apart. The pigment black pattern is not caused by clogging but by an electrical fault in the printhead. Clogging would show a random distribution, so cleaning serves no purpose, it might actually make matters worse.

There is a risk that the print head might have damaged the logic board but most likely not. There is a much greater risk of damaging the logic board if you clean the print head outside the printer using water, windex etc. If the print head is not completely dry before it is put back in the printer, it could cause a short that kills the logic board. I know. I've made that mistake myself.

From the link posted by mikling you get the Canon part number for the print head: QY6-0067 or the newer QY6-0075. You can use those numbers in a Google search for a supplier.

In my opinion the best thing to do is to leave the printer alone, until you have got a new printhead to replace the defective one.

alaa945

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
thanks alot guys
but how much the risk that the new print head can be also has electric problem
i am afraid that there is another thing causing damage to the print head
so after buying it also damage

second thing please how can i open this excellent closed canon
thanks

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Opening the printer is likely to cause "collateral damage" if you are not very experienced. There is likely nothing to be gained by doing so. Don't go there until you are 100% positive it is the last resort and have "nothing to lose". Like I had indicated. I had the exact nozzle check pattern and it also happened very suddenly. From perfect printing to output like you had. This pattern is an electronic issue. Treat it as such and mechanical intervention is not necessary. If you wish to retain the 610 replacing the head will very very likely resolve your problem as it did mine.

You might be concerned about a damaged logic board damaging a new head. This issue seems to be more prevalent with the previous generation of printers in the BCI-3/BCI-6 era and I experienced this personally. To date I have not heard nor witnessed such incidents with the PGI-5 and CLI-8 generation of printers. So the likelihood of this is extremely small based on what has occurred thus far.

LeeE

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Having read most of the posts and its seems that everyone , thinks its a defective head. It may very well be however the key word is 'thinks'. :p

Having previously had a cannon I know that the Pigment Black generally is harder to unclog the head nozzels than the color (by soaking head, using air, different solutions including ammonia etc)
I agree that there would 'probably' be a more random pattern however I think I would try harder at soaking (many times), If you can make it get just a little better you would know you were on the right track! :)

Other causes could be improper electrical contact to the head gold 'pads' cleaning (with alcohol) the pads & the contact pins within the printer may be effective, you may be suprised at the amount of ink that can get on the contact pins. ;)

An Ohm meter may be handy to measure between the head pads however I don't know what exactly the results should be.

Alltho you may consider it too drastic (if the head is bad what will it hurt) the nozzel part of the head (at least on my cannon head) can be loosened and carefully moved away ( by removing 2 very small screws), giving better access for cleaning.:rolleyes:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
alaa945
LeeE Alltho you may consider it too drastic (if the head is bad what will it hurt) the nozzel part of the head (at least on my cannon head) can be loosened and carefully moved away
( by removing 2 very small screws), giving better access for cleaning.
The quickest way to knacker a print head is to remove the two little screws on the bottom.
There is nothing to gain by this whatsoever as there is nothing to clean inside at all, so dont do it.
Take a leap of faith and do what all the other members have said and get a new print head its your best option.. :)

LeeE

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
alaa945
LeeE Alltho you may consider it too drastic (if the head is bad what will it hurt) the nozzel part of the head (at least on my cannon head) can be loosened and carefully moved away
( by removing 2 very small screws), giving better access for cleaning.
The quickest way to knacker a print head is to remove the two little screws on the bottom.
There is nothing to gain by this whatsoever as there is nothing to clean inside at all, so dont do it.
Take a leap of faith and do what all the other members have said and get a new print head its your best option.. :)
Gee! Your going to knacker a head that every one else says to replace (big deal) so just spend your money & replace it & throw away the non knackered head, great idea!!! :lol:

As I said it's a drastic thing to do, I've never done it however my daughter had a head appearently totally clogged & did it & got her (bad) head working again!! :p

On my canon I had an ongoing problem with cyan getting clogged, as cleaning cycles seemed to make the problem worse, about every 6 month I had to remove the head & soak it with ammonia & water
This generally cleared up the cyan problem however after one such soak I found the Pigment Black didn't work at all (not a mark on the on the grid) sure I thought the head was bad.
However I did not give up & did more agressive soak type cleanings, and slowly the grid started printing (I probably cleaned it 10 times before it was good) & I never had another problem with the pigment black.

I think that my first cleaning lossened particals in the chamber behind the black head causing it to totally clog and were trapped inside.
And perhaps I don't take that leap of faith because sometimes the experts don't know it all!! :rolleyes:

My printer later died from a defective power supply :(