PLEASE HELP!! canon i560 - 5 blinking orange lights

gcasci

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
PLEASE help me help my mother!!! thanks in advance!!!

my mother's yellow ink cartridge was running out and when she replaced it, she accidentally put a 2nd magenta ink cartridge in the slot for the yellow ink cartridge. when i realized the issue, i removed the 2nd magenta cartridge and ran to the store to buy a new yellow cartridge. i replaced the cartridge and was planning to clean it and realign the print head but now there is a new issue: the printer blinks (5) orange lights and (1) green light.

i have tried the following:

-- disconnected the printer cable / power cord for (1) week
-- ran this sequence:
1. Start with printer OFF
2. Hold down RESUME and then hold down POWER
3. Release RESUME
4. press RESUME twice, then release POWER
5. let green light blink until printhead has finished moving.
6. Select functions below with RESUME, execute with POWER

at this point, the printer is inoperable; not sure what to do and could use someone's guidance.

again, thanks for your help!!

yupkime

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If you search google or this forum for "canon orange blinks" you get a whole bunch of info related to your problem.
It seems nowadays there isn't anything that hasn't happened to someone before.

5 blinks I think is the worse one meaning that the print head is in trouble or thinks it is.
If possible I would try that printhead in a compatible printer to isolate the problem.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r18501343-Canon-i560-orange-light-blinks

Good luck!

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
BUT--be forewarned that a damaged print head can cause damage to the printer it came out of as well as damage a working printer that you put it in. So don't put it in a friend's printer unless you are willing to lose a friend. You never know until you try it.

Also, the damage could be in the printer and that can damage every print head you put in it. The safest, although not the cheapest, thing to do is have an authorized repair center assess the problem.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
You will want to clean the print head contacts first.
I borrowed these instructions from a previous ghwellsjr post.

You might be able to fix this by cleaning the contacts. You need to remove all the cartridges and then lift the light grey lever on the right side of the carriage and pull out the print head. Get some paper towels because it may be messing.

First make sure the gold contacts on the back side of the head are free of any ink and then take a pink pearl eraser and gently wipe it across the gold contacts. Wipe away any eraser debris and put it back together.
I hope you are one of the lucky ones and can fix it.