pixma pro 9500 not seen by Win 10 pro

Paul Mohney

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
SoCal between downtown disney and down town L.A.
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 9000 pro Mk ii
SO I gave up my search for PSE 14. Qimage was close. but sadly it was too far above my knowledge level, and or sophistication.
SO, in theory Light room Clasic would run on win 7. I had a tech from way over yonder, install it for me because i couldn't, for all of the install erors I got.
It fell apart for reasons best known to the gods, and no one could fix it, or get the adobe cloud off of my computer
so I went shopping at Microcenter, and had them build me a new computer.
This is about a house payment' worth of fun and games, Also paid for win 10 pro.
Did the OS install, Then Norton365, lightroom and photoshop. Came time to instal the Canon 9500 drivers,and Windows won't see the printer, at all
Plugged it back into the win 7 thing and sure as dawn it printed
I've uninstalled and reinstalled it three times, checked for up dates( ha, ha). Any bright ideas?
I am considering doing a dual boot with a Win 7 Ultimate
If LRC and photoshop will run in that environment, win 10 can screw itself till it's no longer relevant
Suggestions and comments are encouraged
I am finally starting to hate Micro Soft,
It was hotter in the inland empire today than in death valley
Paul in L.A. looking at my lonely printer

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Instead of lamenting about WIN10 I would take a positive attitude and do the effort to master it ;) .

The PRO-9500II has drivers for WIN10, the PRO-9500 not.
But I have used both printers together and had installed the latest drivers available for PRO-9500 (think it was WIN8) without problems on WIN10 (very easy, google how to do).

In case of confusion uninstall the printer(s) and start over.

Keep cool over there.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I was going to write something similar, but @palombian was quicker than me. Here is the Pro 9500 driver. From the drop down menu select Win 8.1.

I have installed many old Canon printers on Windows versions that did not officially support them. Often plug and play install worked, else I used the newest of the old available drivers as suggested by palombian. Make sure to download the proper 32 or 64 bit version of the driver.

It seems that after the latest Windows 10 update there were problems with some USB printers.

Just before writing this I was doing tests installing an iP4000 that is the same vintage as the Pro 9500 on a Win 10 32 bit laptop. Plug and play didn't work so I looked for a driver. I think it has worked before the latest Win 10 update. No drivers for Win 10, 8.1 or 8 were available. For win 7 and Vista there was only an add on to the driver that comes with the OS. I downloaded a Win XP driver. I unzipped the download to the desktop. It created a folder named Disk0. With the printer not connected to the computer I opened the folder and ran the setup.exe. The install was normal and I was asked to connect the printer. The computer found the printer and it was fully functional, so even a Win XP driver can work with Win 10, so don't give up.

@Paul Mohney There should be no hardware errors on a new computer but have you checked that the USB port used for the printer is OK for instance by connecting a Pen Drive?

Last edited:

Paul Mohney

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 9000 pro Mk ii
Instead of lamenting about WIN10 I would take a positive attitude and do the effort to master it ;) .

The PRO-9500II has drivers for WIN10, the PRO-9500 not.
But I have used both printers together and had installed the latest drivers available for PRO-9500 (think it was WIN8) without problems on WIN10 (very easy, google how to do).

In case of confusion uninstall the printer(s) and start over.

Keep cool over there.
I asked a simple question, well maybe not that simple but, a straight forward question and I catch crap for it.
If you don't have a positive answer, please feel free to keep your facebook attitude to your self.
BTW Ii fixed it

Paul Mohney

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 9000 pro Mk ii
I was going to write something similar, but @palombian was quicker than me. Here is the Pro 9500 driver. From the drop down menu select Win 8.1.

I have installed many old Canon printers on Windows versions that did not officially support them. Often plug and play install worked, else I used the newest of the old available drivers as suggested by palombian. Make sure to download the proper 32 or 64 bit version of the driver.

It seems that after the latest Windows 10 update there were problems with some USB printers.

Just before writing this I was doing tests installing an iP4000 that is the same vintage as the Pro 9500 on a Win 10 32 bit laptop. Plug and play didn't work so I looked for a driver. I think it has worked before the latest Win 10 update. No drivers for Win 10, 8.1 or 8 were available. For win 7 and Vista there was only an add on to the driver that comes with the OS. I downloaded a Win XP driver. I unzipped the download to the desktop. It created a folder named Disk0. With the printer not connected to the computer I opened the folder and ran the setup.exe. The install was normal and I was asked to connect the printer. The computer found the printer and it was fully functional, so even a Win XP driver can work with Win 10, so don't give up.

@Paul Mohney There should be no hardware errors on a new computer but have you checked that the USB port used for the printer is OK for instance by connecting a Pen Drive?
I already did the install from the canon site and got the usual response.
How Ever
The printer is installed, and working
I was dicking around in PS this a.m., and thought to look at the print menus.
And lo and behold PS saw the printer, so I printed something.
I looked for more recent versions of the drivers, but there were non that I could find.
So, if anyone has a clue, I'd appreciate it
And thanks for taking the time, to answer my question
Paul in L.A.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Specifically which printer do you have?

Your post states "Canon 9500" but your Avatar information states "Pixma Pro 9000 pro Mk ii"

The Pro 9000 has a Windows 8.x compatible driver but not one for Windows 10. You may or may not need to run this in Compatibility Mode as I said in my earlier post.

The Pro 9000 Mk ii HAS a Windows 10 compatible driver.

The Pro 9500 has a Windows 8.x compatible driver but not one for Windows 10. You may or may not need to run this in Compatibility Mode as I said in my earlier post.

The Pro 9500 Mk ii HAS a Windows 10 compatible driver.

So, if anyone has a clue, I'd appreciate it
You said that while "dicking around" your printer works. What more do you need to know?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I asked a simple question, well maybe not that simple but, a straight forward question and I catch crap for it.
If you don't have a positive answer, please feel free to keep your facebook attitude to your self.
BTW Ii fixed it
@Paul Mohney, if you can’t be more civil to fellow members who are only trying to help YOU, then I can’t see you lasting very long on this friendly forum..

Moderator..

Paul Mohney

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 9000 pro Mk ii
Specifically which printer do you have?

Your post states "Canon 9500" but your Avatar information states "Pixma Pro 9000 pro Mk ii"

The Pro 9000 has a Windows 8.x compatible driver but not one for Windows 10. You may or may not need to run this in Compatibility Mode as I said in my earlier post.

The Pro 9000 Mk ii HAS a Windows 10 compatible driver.

The Pro 9500 has a Windows 8.x compatible driver but not one for Windows 10. You may or may not need to run this in Compatibility Mode as I said in my earlier post.

The Pro 9500 Mk ii HAS a Windows 10 compatible driver.

You said that while "dicking around" your printer works. What more do you need to know?
I have no idea how much there is to know, much less how much of that is pertinent to my needs..
I would not have suspected the entire pedigree of the machine was necessary for identification.
In that is a question for the ages.
Unlike driving a car, where everyone i know drives,or has driven one I know no one else that prints thee own pictures.
My first ex-wife gave me the thing about a month before she died. It is my first grownup printer, and it is arguably better at being a printer than am at using it.
Even with my learn as you go approach, it does a good job of making me look good.
SO, I have the win 10 drivers installed, why the install appeared to balk, I have no clue.
question is, should I be concerned?
I have my first printer,and a new in the box, I found for cheap, and an extra print head so , I'm going to be using this model for a while.
Should the MS updates not like my printing software, I'll make a user friendly environment, on my internal storage drive, where it will be free from any predatory harm. Save mine
I realize that tis pretty much a one way relationship, as I don't really have anything to contribute but endless questions.
So thanks for the info, and your time, see you next time the wheels fall off, and i'm in a ditch
Paul in L.A.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Maybe you suffer from the heath ;).

If you have a new PRO-9500 in the box, this printer can serve you for the time to come if you take care of it.
The original 9500 model is slow, it uses more ink for cleaning than the actual models and the printhead is rather fragile too.
It was the first A3+ Canon pigment printer.

Really can't understand your relation with Microsoft.
Several forum members insured you this printer works on WIN10 and showed you how to install it.

They would be glad to hear everything is fine.