I have made drivers work (on Windows 8.1), by the following:
- right-clicking on the exe file
- select Properties,
- pick the Compatibility Tab,
- check mark the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
- then select either Windows 7,
- or, by trial and error, go down to earlier versions of OS until you find the one that works.
That can work for drivers that are designed for earlier versions of OS than what you are running, or conversely for OS that are later than what you are running.
The biggest hurdle is if the install program checks for the version of OS for which is is intended. If it doesn't find the right OS, like a lot of drivers for Win 10, then it may still not install.
In that case, find a previous version of the install program and use the above method. But be cautious, the downloads for those are often loaded with all sorts of bad things. Make sure you are running good security on your computer before you try those installs.
A last hint that may work if you have an install that checks the OS. The part that does the checking may be a simply pre-installer module. An example may help. The example is not for a printer driver, but similar situations may exist.
I used the process for an old (2000) joystick that I wanted to use for a latest version (2023) Flight Sim. The 86x driver for my joystick did not install on my 64x Win 8.1 pc, which by the way Microsoft does no longer support. I found a Win 10 64x driver for the joystick, but of course it checked for the Windows version and said "NO" to my attempt to install it on Win 8.1. However the install program was made up of various folders, and I noticed another exe file. I tried that file, with the compatibility settings as I explained above, and lo and behold the driver installed without error, and the Flight Sim recognizes the joystick. The only downside to this is that now I will be spending lots of time "Sim-ing".
I hope this method gives you success.
All the Best for the New Year.
Happy Printing.