PIXMA PRO-1: is she dead?

e1ns0f

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA PRO-1
Hello everyone!

I am Tommaso and I am a complete newbie :)
I have received from a friend as a gift a 3 years old CANON PIXMA PRO-1 printer which he has not been using for at least a couple of years. I have substituted some of the spent cartridges before starting and I have done few prints: the first one on matte paper was very good, after that I have done a couple on glossy paper which showed some banding, always at more or less the same height. I haves one a lot of research on the internet and I have stumbled upon this forum (apparently some users already had this problem). I have run several nozzle checks (4 in total) followed by 2 light cleaning, 1 deep cleaning and a system cleaning with, however, no significant improvements. At this stage I am not sure what I have to do: is a clog or an electrical failure? How do I understand this? Shall I try to clean by myself the head or it is better to bring the printer to the official assistance?
I attach the result of one of the nozzle check, they are all very similar.
Thank you very much for the help and sorry for the naive questions, I am a total beginner and I am in the process of learning.

Attachments

• C8577A0C-1327-4C2A-B98E-34ABDBD8E7D6.jpeg
    C8577A0C-1327-4C2A-B98E-34ABDBD8E7D6.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 146

e1ns0f

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA PRO-1
Hello everyone!

I am Tommaso and I am a complete newbie :)
I have received from a friend as a gift a 3 years old CANON PIXMA PRO-1 printer which he has not been using for at least a couple of years. I have substituted some of the spent cartridges before starting and I have done few prints: the first one on matte paper was very good, after that I have done a couple on glossy paper which showed some banding, always at more or less the same height. I haves one a lot of research on the internet and I have stumbled upon this forum (apparently some users already had this problem). I have run several nozzle checks (4 in total) followed by 2 light cleaning, 1 deep cleaning and a system cleaning with, however, no significant improvements. At this stage I am not sure what I have to do: is a clog or an electrical failure? How do I understand this? Shall I try to clean by myself the head or it is better to bring the printer to the official assistance?
I attach the result of one of the nozzle check, they are all very similar.
Thank you very much for the help and sorry for the naive questions, I am a total beginner and I am in the process of learning.
I have realised that the quality of the picture was very bad. I attach a new one, sorry for that!

Attachments

• 4055CA49-6CA2-445B-A0B4-D9FA79705FE2.jpeg
    4055CA49-6CA2-445B-A0B4-D9FA79705FE2.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 140

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have received from a friend as a gift a 3 years old CANON PIXMA PRO-1 printer which he has not been using for at least a couple of years.
Hi Tommaso and welcome, I don’t know if your friend has done you a favour ot not, because you now have the problem of either getting the printer working or dumping it, either way it’s going to cost you, big money.

To start with you shouldn’t have tried to do test prints on the printer that was having difficulties with some of its inks, for future reference you should always start with a nozzle check and if that’s not perfect then seek help and advice before proceeding any further.

As you have extensively tried normal, deep and system cleans, then there is no more you can do to fix the printer, the print head has severe electrical problems in the Photo Cyan and Magenta blocks, the only way to correct this is with a new print head !

You can't do this so, it will have to be sent to an Authorised Canon Service Agent, and that will not be easy because couriers don’t threat printer properly and may cause further damage making the printer unrepairable.

Your next issue is cost, it’s going to be very expensive to have it repaired, and you may feel it’s not worth fixing, you've got transport cost, service costs, complete new ink costs and this can amount to well over 50% the cost of the printer.

My advice is to return it to its original owner and say sorry it won’t work and it’s too costly to fix, but a cheaper option for you would be to find a second hand Canon Pro 10 instead.. Sorry..

e1ns0f

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA PRO-1
Hi Tommaso and welcome, I don’t know if your friend has done you a favour ot not, because you now have the problem of either getting the printer working or dumping it, either way it’s going to cost you, big money.

To start with you shouldn’t have tried to do test prints on the printer that was having difficulties with some of its inks, for future reference you should always start with a nozzle check and if that’s not perfect then seek help and advice before proceeding any further.

As you have extensively tried normal, deep and system cleans, then there is no more you can do to fix the printer, the print head has severe electrical problems in the Photo Cyan and Magenta blocks, the only way to correct this is with a new print head !

You can't do this so, it will have to be sent to an Authorised Canon Service Agent, and that will not be easy because couriers don’t threat printer properly and may cause further damage making the printer unrepairable.

Your next issue is cost, it’s going to be very expensive to have it repaired, and you may feel it’s not worth fixing, you've got transport cost, service costs, complete new ink costs and this can amount to well over 50% the cost of the printer.

My advice is to return it to its original owner and say sorry it won’t work and it’s too costly to fix, but a cheaper option for you would be to find a second hand Canon Pro 10 instead.. Sorry..

Dear The Hat,

thank you very much for your reply and thank you very much for the time you spent in teaching me. I will follow your precious advices. In principle I could bring the printer myself to the repair center (is not far from where I live) but if the costs are in any case very high I agree that there is no point in insisting.

Thank you again!