Pixma MP610 and PGI5 black

Jerry1111

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi,

I've printed around 300 4x6 photos and around 30-40 pages of text (well, just websites).
Is it possible that the yellow exclamation mark (low ink) appears on the PGI-5 (black pigment) ink?
The printer is 3 weeks old.

Is that normal/expected behaviour? I'd expect black to last a lot longer!

Best Regards,

Jerry1111

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
It's not possible. The cartridges have chips that have cartridge IDs in them. The printer knows which is Yellow and which is Black. It is about right that the black ink in a PGI5 lasts 40 pages of text printing. You probably printed large black texts a lot.

Jerry1111

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Tin Ho said:
It's not possible. The cartridges have chips that have cartridge IDs in them. The printer knows which is Yellow and which is Black. It is about right that the black ink in a PGI5 lasts 40 pages of text printing. You probably printed large black texts a lot.
I meant that the black pigment ink has a low ink warning - (not the yellow ink, I was talking about the exclamation mark which is displayed).
Is it possible after mentioned amount of printing?

Best,

Jerry1111

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Jerry1111:

The page yields estimates from Canon can be found at http://www.canon-europe.com/ink/Yield/index.asp.

Since I doubt you are printing 40 pages of black completely covering the pages, it sounds like you may be experiencing an anomaly - you should be able to print more than 40 pages of documents/website pages.

How much ink appears to be left in the PGI-5 cartridge? Any left in the spongeless side?

Maybe the ink monitoring function is malfunctioning. Maybe you have a leak in the cartridge or the printer is performing a lot of cleaning cycles. Maybe someone else is printing when you're not around. There isn't enough data to discern your issue yet.

One thing you may consider doing is printing out the printer's EEPROM data. This will tell you how many pages/photos printed, how many cleaning cycles performed and much more. I collated Service Mode instructions and explanations for my MP830 which can be downloaded at http://rapidshare.com/files/69569077/Canon_Service_Mode_EEPROM_Info_1.doc. If you are not comfortable following the instructions, then do NOT attempt since an error on your part may create new problems in using your printer. I would also do a google search to make sure that these instructions for the MP830 will match those for your MP610 (eg. - "canon mp610 service mode" or "canon mp610 eeprom"). I know that these instructions have worked for other printer models but am unsure if they will be true for your specific printer model.

Lastly, you might consider calling Canon Tech Support since you would appear to be still under warranty.

Jerry1111

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman said:
Jerry1111:

The page yields estimates from Canon can be found at http://www.canon-europe.com/ink/Yield/index.asp.

Since I doubt you are printing 40 pages of black completely covering the pages, it sounds like you may be experiencing an anomaly - you should be able to print more than 40 pages of documents/website pages.
Yep - 40-50 normal, average pages.
Did the EEPROM check (your instructions worked). Total 568 pages, 11 copies, plain paper (I guess that's A4 text) 120 pages - a bit more than I've estimated but still way below Canon ink usage.

How much ink appears to be left in the PGI-5 cartridge? Any left in the spongeless side?
There was a low ink warning, none in the tank, sponge seemed as usual - I guess pretty full.

Maybe the ink monitoring function is malfunctioning.
It properly gave the low ink warning when the ink disappeared from the tank (prism sensor)

Maybe you have a leak in the cartridge or the printer is performing a lot of cleaning cycles.
Haven't noticed excessive amount of cleaning cycles. Leak in the cartridge - unlikely, can't see any obvious spillages. Leak in the printhead - well, there's no obvious spillages under the printer. If it's sucking all the ink when the head is parked, then there's no way of telling that.

Maybe someone else is printing when you're not around.
Not possible - haven't had any break-ins.

There isn't enough data to discern your issue yet.

One thing you may consider doing is printing out the printer's EEPROM data. This will tell you how many pages/photos printed, how many cleaning cycles performed and much more. I collated Service Mode instructions and explanations for my MP830 which can be downloaded at http://rapidshare.com/files/69569077/Canon_Service_Mode_EEPROM_Info_1.doc. If you are not comfortable following the instructions, then do NOT attempt since an error on your part may create new problems in using your printer. I would also do a google search to make sure that these instructions for the MP830 will match those for your MP610 (eg. - "canon mp610 service mode" or "canon mp610 eeprom"). I know that these instructions have worked for other printer models but am unsure if they will be true for your specific printer model.
Instructions worked, thanks!

Lastly, you might consider calling Canon Tech Support since you would appear to be still under warranty.
Really as a last resort. They're open between 9am-5pm, and I'm working exactly the same hours. I can call them from work, but then they'll probably want me to do/check something with the printer, and the printer is home. I can call them on Sat/Sun from home, but they're working only Mon-Fri ;-(
I guess it's to lower the cost of consumer help...

Best Regards,

Jerry1111

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Jerry1111 said:
stratman said:
Jerry1111:

Yep - 40-50 normal, average pages.
Did the EEPROM check (your instructions worked). Total 568 pages, 11 copies, plain paper (I guess that's A4 text) 120 pages - a bit more than I've estimated but still way below Canon ink usage.
So the printer has printed 568 page plus photographs? Sounds like you are correlating with Canon's 5% ink coverage per page Page Yields.

Is this the first PGI-5 cartridge ever for the printer, or, were some of the 568 pages total printed from other PGI-5 cartridges? The EEPROM printout will tell you how many cartridge chages have been done.

While you can judge how much ink is left in the spongeless side of the cartridge, you cannot guage the amount of ink left in the sponge unless you weigh the cartridge and calculate full versus empty (fully flushed of ink and dried out) cartridges. Or, you could refill and get an esitimate based on amount of ink used to refill. Otherwise, let the printer's ink monitoring function do the job for you on when to change the cartridge. Of course, if your printouts appear to have ink missing or become banded in aoppearance, stop printing and change cartridges or do cleanings (regular and a deep) to see if that clears the problem but ONLY if you see ink still in the spongeless side of the cartridge, otherwise the printhead may become damaged from ink starvation.

Maybe one thing to try is to finish using this cartridge, put in a new one, make another EEPROM printout and then use the printer till the next time the PGI-5 is empty. Then make another EEPROM printout and see what your actual usage is so that you are not estimating. If usage appears odd still then call Tech Support.

Jerry1111

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman said:
So the printer has printed 568 page plus photographs? Sounds like you are correlating with Canon's 5% ink coverage per page Page Yields.
Misunderstanding. I've printed 568 of photos + 120 A4 pages if I'm reading it correctly. Well, I don't have to read the eeprom print - I know I've gone through ~10 packs of 6x4 paper, 50 sheets each.

Is this the first PGI-5 cartridge ever for the printer, or, were some of the 568 pages total printed from other PGI-5 cartridges? The EEPROM printout will tell you how many cartridge chages have been done.
I've just put 2nd PGI-5 cartridge - don't want the first one to run dry.

While you can judge how much ink is left in the spongeless side of the cartridge, you cannot guage the amount of ink left in the sponge unless you weigh the cartridge and calculate full versus empty (fully flushed of ink and dried out) cartridges.
That's why I've replaced it shortly after the low ink warning - with a view to refill of course.

Maybe one thing to try is to finish using this cartridge, put in a new one, make another EEPROM printout and then use the printer till the next time the PGI-5 is empty. Then make another EEPROM printout and see what your actual usage is so that you are not estimating. If usage appears odd still then call Tech Support.
I'll try to contact them anyway (hope they respond - I spent today ~15 minutes on the phone unsuccesfully), but the plan is to monitor 2nd cartridge.

I have to say that HP printer with 363 tanks (closed loop) was WAY easier to refill. Just add ink - no more moves required. No drilling, no sealing, no leaking.
Oh, well, new experience with Canon :)

Is there any way to check if there's excessive ink in the head parking area other than disassembling the printer?

Best Regards,

Jerry1111

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I am not sure why you are replacing the cartridge before the printer marks it as empty. The ink level monitoring system on the Canon's seems to be pretty good at preventing errant printing without ink. Of course this applies only to OEM cartridges or thos chipped aftermarket cartridges or thos chips that have been reset. It does not apply to cartridges that have been refilled but not chip-reset, and the ink monitoring system overridden.

Not sure about your excessive ink question. Maybe someone else can help.

Lastly, your ink usage may be such that even with 120 pages plus photos printed that you could have used up much of your pigment black ink. Everyone's printing mileage varies. It all depends upon the content of what is printed and how much of the page is filled.

Jerry1111

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman said:
I am not sure why you are replacing the cartridge before the printer marks it as empty.
It's pigmented. I bought 2 sets of ink with the printer with a view to refill. I don't want to let the pigmented ink dry in the sponge, so I decided to change it 'preventively'. Now it's refilled and waiting sealed to be reused.

Not sure about your excessive ink question. Maybe someone else can help.

Lastly, your ink usage may be such that even with 120 pages plus photos printed that you could have used up much of your pigment black ink. Everyone's printing mileage varies. It all depends upon the content of what is printed and how much of the page is filled.
Excessive? No....:D
My previous printer (HP C5180) printed ~6000 photos. Unfortunately scanner broke (don't know why - used once per month probably).
As to black ink, my understanding was that there is no pigmented ink used in photos. That's what got me thinking why the cart is empty. I'm a bit afraid of having a big pool of black ink under the printer in case that usage is due to some leaking.

Best,

Jerry1111

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Meant "excess" as in "too much", not that you were repeating your question excessively or that you were obsessing over the issue.

Per Canon:

PGI-5 Pigment Black Ink is used ONLY For:
- Plain Paper Test (monochrome and grey scale)
- Envelopes
- Transparencies
- Duplex Printing On Plain Paper
- Camera Direct Printing on Plain Paper

CLI-8 Dye-Based Color Inks are used anytime color is printed and is used exclusively for:
- All Photo Paper types (including when Duplex printing)
- High Resolution Paper
- T-shirt Transfers
- CD-R's
- All Borderless Printing, on both PhotoPaper and Plain Paper