pixma mp610 All of a sudden problems

zing

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
pixma pro 100 pixma, pm610
I was printing some black and whites and trying to find a compromise profile for the H P paper I was using.

History of the printer is all factory ink so far. I was printing 8 x 10s and they were looking good but they had a very slight red tone to them.

I clicked the print button again and this time I got an error message that I needed to install the correct print head ???? What ?

I then turned it off long enough for a cup of coffee and when I turned it on this time it says I have an error and I should turn it off then turn it back on

It seems to be stuck in this mode and I'm thinking this is really bad timing as I just bought new ink at office depot last Saturday and I'm expecting an ink shipment from adorama tomorrow.

I don't recall seeing any new canon printers that use the cli-8 cartridge for some time. But then the only place I go that has printers on display is office depot and I always look when I'm in there for office supplies.

I hoping if I can't resolve the error message that maybe I can find a printer on craigslist that uses the cli-8 cartridges

I appreciate any help or ideas

Thanks

Bill

zing

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Problem over. I took out the print head and the ribbon cable was detached from the electronic connections. It's officially dead

I hate that I just got it dialed in too

Bill

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Good to hear you diagnosed it.

What is "officially dead"? Is it a short in the ribbon cable, the print head, ??? The MP610 is a good printer and one you may want to consider finding parts to keep her going. Canon does not make them like that anymore.

zing

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Strat man

When I examined the backside of the print head the ribbon cable was completely detached from the contactor board and was just hanging there. I can do basic soldering but I don't have a clue about how to re-attach a ribbon cable.

I looked on ebay and a replacement from Hong Kong was between 80 and 100 or so to buy a replacement. I decided to pass on that for the time being and I'll put it on the shelf.

If I knew what other models used the same print head I would watch craigslist and buy one for the parts but I haven't seen an mp610 on craigslist for a long time

Bill

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If I knew what other models used the same print head I would watch craigslist and buy one for the parts
I do not know either but maybe some of our intrepid members will. You may find a good soul at a Canon authorized repair shop (call Canon for the locations and numbers near you) to help out.

There may be an MP610 parts manual linked on the web site or via a Google search. Then search for the ribbon cable part number. Maybe you could find one on Alibaba?

Also, check out thrift stores for another MP610.

Service Manual at http://internaute.free.fr/depannage_canon/mp610/mp610-sm.manuel.reparateur.pdf

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
(The first?) MP610 printers came with the QY6-0067 print head. This print head was later replaced by QY6-0075. Other printers that use this print head are: iP5300/ iP4500/ MP610/ MP810/ MX850.

Here is a download of a .pdf file that has both service manual and parts catalog for the MP610: https://yadi.sk/i/xA6212UjXAE98 . The site is Russian, some times it displays in English, some times in Russian. If it is in Russian then click the button marked "Скачать" to download. AVG Internet Security found nothing wrong in the downloaded file.

I have attached a .pdf file with a table of some common Canon print heads and the printers they are used in. The table is in German. Bescreibung= Description, Drucker=Printer, Druckkopf=Print head and Abgekündigt=Obsolete.

Other very good printers are using the QY6-0061 print head. These printers are: iP4300/ iP5200/ iP5200R/ MP600/ MP800/ MP800R/ MP830

Good luck looking for one of these very good printers.

Attachments

• canon_printheads.pdf
    88.2 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:

zing

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Peter and stratman thank you so much for the help. I've renewed my search for a print head I do remember see more of the QY6-0075 print heads available and I dod see one guy in china was selling the QY60067 print heads that were repaied but only printed black ink.

That would be a great option for someone only interested in printing black and white documents.

I wish I had the expertise to do what ink stained fingers recommended about converting a mp610 to print gray scale only.

That would be incredible, but I don't know the first thing about writing my own profiles or computer programming. But I do recognize excellent ideas : )

The search is on again for a replacement print head

Bill