PIXMA MG8150 - The Dreaded U052

Cicero

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG8150
Like many others who have visited this forum I've been plagued by Canon's U052 - "incorrect print head installed" error. I'm not looking for a fix so much as a way to use this as a standalone scanner. The scanner on this (expensive!) machine is excellent, and I haven't used it as a printer for almost a year but I scan regularly.

Thanks to many of the excellent posts by members in some of the other subforums. I have been attempting a similar strategy as that set out by Lukasz in this post - https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/mg5320-fatally-ill.9363/page-2 - I don't care about printing capability so I would gladly find some way to disconnect the print head and prevent it from erroring out, even if I could no longer print that would be alright as long as the scanner would work.

I cannot find a pin out diagram for this printer online, not really surprising. There is a service manual on 2manuals, although I'd rather not pay $20 for a manual which might or might not have the information I'm looking for in it...

Perhaps somebody has some advice on this front? I would be indebted to you!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Your only alternative is to have a go at it yourself, try taping off some of the contacts then test it, and if not successful try another set of contacts, unfortunately it will be trial and error, if you do get it working again please post your results..

1614429434906.png

Cicero

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG8150
Thanks The Hat. So far I've played around with it and found that taping most contacts has no effect, while there are three which if taped cause a different "no print head found" error. No actual results so far. Unfortunately the print head is a different model from that tested by Lukasz (QY6-0078) so it really is just trial and error, especially since I don't have the pinout. And I'm not spending $20 on a manual that might not even have the pinout in it...

Cicero

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG8150
Thank you Peter. I did take a look through that manual but unfortunately it hasn't been much use. I also haven't had any luck getting the printer into service mode, being met with blinking orange error lights every time (although I'm not sure what I would do if I did get it into service mode). I am considering just buying a new print head if it will make the error go away. That would be $50-75 in my local currency but the printer would originally have cost $450 apparently, and the scanner is very good quality for my needs. I will consider also contacting Canon too if I can't find any better solution.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Yes the printhead error prevents the service mode operations. With a new printhead you will have a very good all-in-one with an excellent CCD scanner instead of the CIS scanners used on less expensive models. It is also a very good printer, so I wish you good luck with finding a new printhead. Avoid printheads from China. They are often used and defective printheads cleaned to look like new and packaged in counterfeit cardboard boxes and foil bags.

Cicero

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG8150
I think that I will do just that, even if I spend $75AUD on a new printhead I will still save a lot compared to a new printer of the same quality, and you are right that the scanner on this is excellent. Any suggestions for the best place to get a new printhead with assurance that it's genuine? Even looking on Ebay 90% of the listings are dubious ones from China. I presume that Canon no longer stocks these parts themselves?

Hvytoys

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
i currently have over 1k
Like many others who have visited this forum I've been plagued by Canon's U052 - "incorrect print head installed" error. I'm not looking for a fix so much as a way to use this as a standalone scanner. The scanner on this (expensive!) machine is excellent, and I haven't used it as a printer for almost a year but I scan regularly.

Thanks to many of the excellent posts by members in some of the other subforums. I have been attempting a similar strategy as that set out by Lukasz in this post - https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/mg5320-fatally-ill.9363/page-2 - I don't care about printing capability so I would gladly find some way to disconnect the print head and prevent it from erroring out, even if I could no longer print that would be alright as long as the scanner would work.

I cannot find a pin out diagram for this printer online, not really surprising. There is a service manual on 2manuals, although I'd rather not pay $20 for a manual which might or might not have the information I'm looking for in it...

Perhaps somebody has some advice on this front? I would be indebted to you!
https://www.nodevice.com/service-manuals/printer/canon
service manual downloads free