Pixma MG6450 - Is it completely dead?

JoeR

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6450
Greetings to all.

I've been struggling with my MG6450 for the past couple of weeks, and posting here is more-or-less my final attempt to resolve my issues. I've spent far too much time researching solutions and trying different "proposed" solutions. So I'm hoping as this seems to be a pretty active community, that someone will be able to help me, or if nothing else convince me to just bit the bullet and fork over more cash to the wonderful world of ink-printer designed obsolescence.

So a couple weeks ago, I turned on my printer, and we greeted with the deadly B200 error. After contacting Canon support, and being told that it would cost me almost 100$ for them just to look at it, regardless of whether or not they could fix it, I started my research. From what I could find, the only real solution for this was throwing it out a window or destroying it with a baseball bat (the videos of these "solutions" only slightly improved my mood). There was some speculation in many places, that the B200 error was caused by a faulty/clogged print head.

So I thoroughly cleaned the print head, including ultrasonic bath, left it to dry overnight, and then reinstalled it. Same error. So I bought a new print head off ebay. I received it yesterday, and was full of high hopes as I unpacked the printer head and then installed it. The new printer head did indeed resolve the B200 error, as I no longer get this when I start, but now I have a "new" error, the equally dreaded 1660-"The following ink tank cannot be recognized".

All the carts are new (as fate would have it I bought a completely new set just before the printer hit the B200 error) original Canon ones. I have checked the pins, cleaned the pins, reseated everything, and all the other suggestions I could find. Nothing works. I also get the same error if there are NO tanks installed. Also, NONE of the ink tank LEDs are lit when the tanks are installed. I do not know if this is a result of error 1660 or if this is somehow causing the error.

There is some good info on another thread regarding the MG6450 's service mode and service software. I believe I can get the printer into service mode (key combination, 5 presses of the cancel key, etc.), but am not sure if the software will really provide any way to recover this printer, i.e. not sure if trying is worth the time and/or risk.

Any experience, help, opinions, or additional ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I've spent far too much time researching solutions and trying different "proposed" solutions. So I'm hoping as this seems to be a pretty active community, that someone will be able to help me

@JoeR, you can seek and search but if you’re on the wrong sites you’ll get the same old quick fix answers, but here its different, we won’t pretend and say we can fix your problem, but at least we will be straight and truthful with you.

The B200 error can be quite a number of things, it’s a general fault that comes up when you’re having a problem with the print head, were you using compatible or OEM carts when you first got the Error.

Cleaning the print head outside the printer can be very risky if you have been given the wrong information, soaking and drying thoroughly are all we advise here, and ultrasonic baths are not recommended.

You have purchased your new print head from EBay, that was a bad idea and I reckon you’ve now realised that, EBay heads are mostly all refurbished, useless and a waste of money.

Now that you’ve got the replacement head it might help you revive the previous head that had the B200 error, try replacing the current head with the old one and see if the printer will give the same error, I reckon it won’t, that is if the head has not suffered from the ultrasonic bath.

If that does not resolve your problem then a new print head is your only option, and this must be bought from an Authorised Canon dealer, but I have one caveat emptor left for you, if either of the print heads has previously caused damage to your logic board then a replacement head is pointless...

The chances of your logic board been damaged are rare, but we still have to mention the possibility, and a new head might cost more than a new printer, so that should be considered also, sorry...

JoeR

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6450
I put the old Print head back in, and the B200 error returns.

The carts are original Canon manufactured ones.

The strangest thing is that I get no LEDs on the tanks themselves.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The contacts for the chips are independent of the print head, they are part of the print head carriage, but the defective print head might have damaged the logic board of the printer so the chips are not recognised.

The service tools cannot be used for repairing the printer, on the contrary errors in the printer can prevent the function of the service tools. The service tools can only be used for getting some info and for changing a few settings like the printer's region and for resetting the ink absorber counter.

Be aware that the service tools found in this thread might likely contain malware.

As the logic board is probably damaged by a defective print head and a damaged logic board can damage a new print head, I would not risk the money for a new print head from a regular dealer of Canon spare parts.