Pixma MG5520 refilling

RetiredInColorado

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My Pixma MG5200 print head died. Buying a new printer was cheaper, with the MG5520 on sale at 79.95. Before I begin to unpack and put it in service, I've got questions on refilling the CLI251/PGI250 carts. I have been using Hobbicolor ink to refill the CLI226/PGI225 carts and using a chip resetter. I assume the resetter will not work on the new carts. Can the chips be moved from the 226/225 to the 251/250 and the resetter used with the new printer? If not, are there alternatives for resetting? I don't see the 251/250 carts mentioned on most forums. Are they too new? A flash in the pan? Don't want to go down a path with the new printer that is a dead end for refilling.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Wise of you to check first, because the CLI-251 set-up cartridges can’t be refilled easy and you’d need to use 3rd party compatible carts with (ARC’s) if you’re planning on refilling plus there is no resetter for the chips either.

So I’d suggest you look for a better printer and return this one before you open it, the most popular printer seems to be the Pro 100 which can be picked up on rebate for $90 or a little dearer if you can find one on Craig’s List.

Here is a list of some of the printers that are easy and not so easy to refill..

http://www.printerknowledge.com/thr...s-the-poor-canon-printers-for-refilling.7282/

If you do a search for the CLI-551 instead of the CLI-251 cartridges there are quite a number of discussions on them..

RetiredInColorado

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Wise of you to check first, because the CLI-251 set-up cartridges can’t be refilled easy and you’d need to use 3rd party compatible carts with (ARC’s) if you’re planning on refilling plus there is no resetter for the chips either.

So I’d suggest you look for a better printer and return this one before you open it, the most popular printer seems to be the Pro 100 which can be picked up on rebate for $90 or a little dearer if you can find one on Craig’s List.

Here is a list of some of the printers that are easy and not so easy to refill..

http://www.printerknowledge.com/thr...s-the-poor-canon-printers-for-refilling.7282/

If you do a search for the CLI-551 instead of the CLI-251 cartridges there are quite a number of discussions on them..

Thanks for the link and the advice. I am returning the MG5520 tomorrow. I was able to find a reasonably priced MG8125B on ebay that has the same carts that I currently use, and that I already have the chip resetter for. Hopefully I am now on the road to happy printing once again