PIXMA MG3022 Ink absorber full problem

Retroprint

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG3022
Hello All,

I have a canon PIXMA MG3022 that has an ink absorber error, I used Canon Service Tool version 5204 I purchased from eBay to reset. I was able to enter service mode however when I tried to perform the ink absorber counter reset I got various errors mostly 006, although I also received 0002 or 005 errors in some instances. I was able to perform test printing including the EEPROM summary page that indicates my ink absorber level is at 100.2. The person who sold me the software indicates an EEPROM issue but I am not so sure. Is it possible this service tool is not fully compatible with my printer? Is there another recommended service tool for my printer? I greatly appreciate any assistance. Thanks :)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I am very interested in the newer Canon Service Tools, so I did a little googling. Here is a typical ad from an Ebay seller of the service tool v.5204. Notice these red markings (#1) which are not explained. But here is a Russian site explaining the red #1 Scroll down to an explanation which Google translates to "(# 1) - these are disposable printers and they are not provided for by the manufacturer to reset / replace the absorber " This explains why you cannot reset the absorber on your printer as it is one of the disposable models.

Here is an explanation of the error codes for the service tools. Error 005 and 006 are related to the printer not being seen by the computer or not having entered service mode properly. These are not important as you finally entered service mode properly which the EEPROM page proves. The interesting error message is 002 which means this function is not supported or the printer does not have this functionality. The explanation is that the printer is one of the disposable models.

Maybe you can get a refund as your printer cannot be resat by the tool?

Retroprint

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG3022
Thanks Peter for your reply.! The printer I have is three years old so I'm not sure if I can get any type of refund. Also the 02 error only came up once. In any case I have seen other ads for different service tool versions for example 4905 and 5103, would another service tool work with my printer? In addition my printer is connected via both USB and wireless, may this cause issues when using the service tool?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I meant a refund of the cost of the service tool. As the printer is one of the disposable series of printers I think no version of the service tool can do a reset. You can get EEPROM info and likely also make a test print, but no reset.

BTW the Ebay ad I linked to actually has the warning that some printers cannot be resat. It says:"• PRINTERS THAT CAN NOT RESET MG24xx, MG2910 AND THE ONE MARKED WITH (# 1). Disposable. " at the bottom of the list of supported printers. I think the red (#1) after MG3090 means that all the MG3000 series printers and maybe also MG2570S and MG2580S cannot be resat, but the disposable printers should not have been on the list of compatible models/supported printers IMO.

I think that the explanation that some Canon printers are meant to be disposable and therefore very few or no spares are available is true. I once saw on a website from a Canon parts dealer something like "No parts are available for this model as it is a disposable printer" or something similar.

Retroprint

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG3022
Thanks Again Paul. :) I made another attempt to reset the absorber counter by disconnecting my printer's WiFi connection and connecting via USB cable only and received the same errors including #002. This is frustrating since I do not recall Canon marketing this as a 'disposable' printer when I purchased it. It has served me well and equally frustrating is that the scanning function is not available also due to the ink error, not sure why since my understanding is that the scanning has nothing to do with ink.:( Per the EEPROM page my first print job with this printer was back in Feb 2017 so the lifespan was approx. 3 yrs, 3 months. At this time I believe my best option is to look for another printer, although definitely not canon. I will review these forums to see what are better replacements but if you have any immediate suggestions I greatly appreciate them. :)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Canon service tools only work with Windows, you cannot use MacOS or Linux. You also have to use a USB connection to the computer even if the printer has wireless capability and no other printers must be connected to the computer. The seller ought to supply an instruction for the use of the service tool IMO but probably didn't? Do you have a link to the seller?

I have seen no reports of resetting ink absorbers in HP printers on the forum so I guess that cannot be done, and if you won't buy Canon again then there is Epson left. Some Epson models have a user replaceable ink absorber cassette. But these models are not entry level and probably expensive. Any comments from the forum Epson expert @Ink stained Fingers ?

Canon warranty conditions vary from county to country and in some countries the warranty is limited by both a period of time and a number of printed pages. In case of a warranty claim a technician can read out the EEPROM file and check if the printer is still in warranty.

Last edited: