Pixma IP5000 printhead problems

Darth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well, my printhead is acting up again, no cyan. I have cleaned and cleaned and even tried the "magic Printhead cleaner". The odd thing is if I run a deep cleaning on the printer, I can print about 85% of a page that uses cyan perfectly and then it runs out. I have changed carts and it acts exactly the same. Of course I can't keep running deep cleaning, as it uses up all the other colors and will probably fill up my purge tank soon. I have even considered leaving the other color carts out when running the deep cleaning cycle, but I haven't tried it because the printer may not allow it or I might burn out the other color nozzles.

After reading many, many other comments about printhead clogging, etc., I wonder if the seal for the actual print head might be leaking, allowing air to get in. On the printhead check, when cyan fails, it just quits completely (no white streaks, etc.). Any suggestions?

Because of these continuing printhead problems, I may be looking for a new printer soon. I love the quality of photo prints, the ease of refilling, etc. So I am looking for recommendations. I would like to keep the same type of cartridges (I know, they will probably be chipped). That probably means my cartridges won't fit a new printers. I would also like to print on CDs, and use my tray (converted mine years ago). Any help would be appreciated.

I am presently looking at the IP 4920. which I can get for around $75 and a spare printhead for around $50 more, but it really isn't an upgrade from my ip5000 and of course requires clear cartridges and a chip setter.
(can get a new printhead on Ebay for the ip5000, for $109, but then, of course many other things could fail in my old ip5000).

:rolleyes: