Pixma 8750 ink strategies?

DaveReading

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Photosmart D5160
I'm finally graduating from my entry-level HP Photosmart, with the joys of refilling integrated cartridges, to a Canon Pixma ip8750, and I'm trying to decide on ink strategies.

I know that the printer is delivered with relatively low-capacity (standard?) OEM starter cartridges which won't last long, so one strategy would be to refill those as and when needed. I'm unsure as to whether the chips on the starter cartridges can be reset, and obviously if they can't then I won't have any ink level indication from the printer, nor of course can I visually check the ink level. Having been caught out in the past by the consequences of overfilling HP cartridges, I'd be worried about refilling them blind.

A second option would be to buy a set of either standard or XL filled Canon cartridges and a chip resetter, which would at least allow ink levels to be monitored after each refill.

A third option would be a set of compatible, refillable cartridges (Octopus, for example, preferably XL), which come with auto reset chips and, if all else fails, can be visually checked for ink level.

I'd be grateful for any comments on the pros and cons of the above approaches, or on anything that I've failed to take into account.

AleIsi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
ip8720
Hello! Octoinkjet has a cli 251 resetter (american version of the same printer), I've asked a few days ago so Im pretty sure they have a resetter for your version.

I haven't started to refill my printer but Im going to try and fill the standard cartridges.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridges for use in Europe and the PGI-250/CLI-251 cartridges for use in North America come in two sizes standard and XL. The XL version has a larger ink reservoir and is recommended for refilling. The setup cartridges are the standard version.

Here is a good article from druckerchannel.de about these cartridges and refilling them. Here is a Google translation to English. The link to the translation might not work, but then you can use Google translate yourself. if you don't read German.

The article was written before a resetter was available, so the paragraph about disabling the ink monitoring can be skipped. The use of a resetter is strongly recommended instead of disabling the ink monitoring.

The OEM cartridges are recommended for refilling. Aftermarket cartridges are not the same high quality and might cause problems with ink starvation or ink leakage. And the ARC chips easily get out of sync with the actual ink amount in the cartridge. And price and quality of these cartridges do not always match.

Last edited: