PIXMA 560

nippyink

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Now showing error code B200. on my PIXMA 560.
I have previously had the waste ink pad full error and reset counter using service tool V3400.exe ( provied by a kind person on here and now held in documents folder)
I used DELL DIMENSION 5150 with Windows XP.
With top open and carriage in middle I noticed one of cartridge lights out,.....removed cartridges and print head to get better access. Cleaned chip and corresponding contact area on carriage...cartridge light back on ok but still get error B200.

Any further ideas????

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I assume that nippyink refers to a Canon i560, because there’s no such model as the Canon Pixma 560.

Error B200 is usually related to printhead failure. I don’t think that changing the cartridges would solve the problem, but it’s worth trying. Sometimes this error goes away simply switching the printer off/on but sooner or later it will come back. When that happens there’s a fair chance that the printhead remains blocked on the parking position. In that case, short of removing the top case, it would be impossible to access the printhead and install a new one.

Sadly this wouldn't do much good because it’s a fact that genuine new printheads for this printer are long gone.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think the printer is a Canon Pixma MP560. It is a 5 cartridge printer of the PGI-x20/CLI-x21 cartridge generation using the QY6-0073 printhead.

The B200 error means the printhead is defective, and only a new printhead might bring the printer back to life. But when a Canon printhead fails there is a risk that it damages the logic board and a damaged logic board might damage a new printhead, so replacing the printhead is a gamble. Maybe a new printhead can be found from a regular dealer of Canon spare parts. Don't buy "refurbished" printheads from China sold by eBay, Amazon, Alibaba or similar. They are used and likely defective printheads that have been cleaned to look like new.

The problem with the cartridge not being recognized was caused by dirty chip contacts or chip contract springs. This error is different from the B200 error which still is present even if the cartridge is now recognized.

Sadly I think it is time for a new printer.

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Me bad too. I didn't think about the MP series. I should have guessed when nippyink said that it needed a software tool to reset the waste ink counter. Old girls like the i560 could be reset just using the front buttons.
Anyway, PeterBJ is right.. Only a new printhead (QY6-0073 ) would fix the issue and this model was discontinued long ago.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I also wondered what model the printer was, but the i560 is not a Pixma. I checked the OP's postings and found this. If it is the same printer then it gave 13 years of service which I think is well done.

nippyink

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yes Pixma MP560
Thanks all for comments. Especially PeterBJ for pointing back to my previous post(s).
I bought a new yellow cart (sealed and unused )and light on ok but still B200 error. I found I have a copy of the Canon workshop manual on my old Dell computer) and yes it does give what problem is likely to be and the items that may need changing.....too much for me to contemplate even if I could find the several bits for sale.
I have previously had a new print head (after washing out one and getting it going again for a while).
I just HATE waste......The fact that the whole machine is rendered useless by one fault is annoying....if the photo-copy stayed working one could at least download documents/photos to a memory stick for saving on the computer/sending in an email. It is not as if the printer is in a heavy use environment...just a home use though maybe a bit more use than the person that may only use occasionally.
I wonder just how much it would be to take printer to be fixed???
looks like a new printer......it will NOT be a Canon as much as I have liked the MP560. Just disillusioned by Canons attitude to customers. That length of time I have had it (was it 13 years?) is nothing......my Austin 7 car is 1935 and I can still buy virtually any part new.....and it has done 76,000+ miles in my hands since 1972ish including trials in rough country. That puts to shame the amount of work the printer has done.
However I am just about to have a below the knee amputation but even then will be able to have a new bit attached to get me back working fairly well (a prosthetic limb). And I am only 79.

So back to the old question what to get?
Requirements:
1. Mostly black/white print outs so think a standalone LASER POWDER PRINTER (i.e. no inkjets to dry out if left inactive for a long time or wasteful flushing through with ink.
2. Able to be set to auto print 2 sided (DUPLEX PRINTING)
3. not too bothered about print quality (fast print out or normal would be ok)
4. must be able to get parts for it reasonably priced.
5, Are there any of the company's out there that are considered to have a reasonable attitude towards their customers??
6 lesson learned?....probably best to have separate individual items than lose all functions of an all-in-one.

I have used the Durstich method for refilling the cartridges so will have left overFOR DISPOSAL a full set of 5 squeezy bottles with injecting nozzles on each and plenty ink in each {from OCTOINK}. Also a redsetter for reseting the chips (I gather Canon even changed chips to prevent people resetting the cartridges of newer printers so it would not work on other cartridges).
If only Canon were to sell refill ink at a sensible price I may consider another of their products...am not bothered about ink quality for long lasting no fade photograph inks.

Sorry for my rants but hate the modern throw away attitudes and companies making lots of money with a don't care attitude which is running the country into the ground by pushing up the cost of living unnecessarily.

D

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If only Canon were to sell refill ink at a sensible price I may consider another of their products.
Nothing is the same anymore, and it’s us oldies that are out fashion, not the print manufactures, I had to dump my Pro 10 because I couldn’t get use to the new way it printed, so it wasn’t the printers fault, solely mine.. I can’t get on with new printers..

I am doing little or no inkjet printing now and only use my Maxify for internet printings, I haven’t used my pro 9500 in many a month, but the Maxify just keeps on working with little or no issues..

So I’d recommend you check out the Maxify range of printers, there’s bound to be one that will suite your needs, it’s as near to a laser printer as you can get, both for quality and longevity.. www.canon.com

P.S. These large ink carts are pretty reasonable, and there are good compatible ones available too, so running costs are not an issue with this printer..

nippyink

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I see HP also use chips on their lazar toner cartridges and can block use of non original or refilled ones. I see there is one make -Laipeng that sells carts without chips but with tools for transferring chip from OEM cart...anyone used these?,,,,,so just glued on?
CART 142A for HP M110w .....(M110we any good? £109.99 at ARGOS for example BUT M110w to avoid HP+ chip blocking at same price)
2000 pages per cart at 2 for £43.80 seems ok value?

Last edited: