Pixma 5000 doesn't recognize new cart

bobk

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'm using inkgrabber carts on my IP5000 and for years have had no problems. Now it doesn't recognize a new BK6 cart. I've tried 3 new ones with the same result. The printer is supposed to go through a clean cycle when a new cart is installed but this doesn't happen. I've done clean and deep clean 3 or 4 times. I'm on a Mac if that matters. When i check the ink levels in the Maintenance program, the small black column is gray. Any suggestions. TIA
bobk

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi, is there a prism in the cartridge in the ink compartment ? And did you change the cartridge when the printer is telling you to do so, otherwise the ink level is blocked until the prism is giving a trigger to the printer, telling the ink running low.

bobk

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I think that I changed the cartridge without being told to do so. I don't know what you mean by a prism in the ink compartment. Is there a way for me to activate the trigger that you refer to?
Thanks

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
The only thing you can do is wait till the printer will tell you to do so. Another problem might be that the bidirectional function of your printer is disabled, thus making your printer not able to send a signal to the computer saying one or more cartridges are running low.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
If you change a cartridge before you get the message on the ink monitor that the ink level is low or out, the ink monitor doesn't reset itself to full for that cartridge, and the printer doesn't automatically run a cleaning cycle. Not to worry. If the nozzle test is good and your first print is as it should be, you are good to go. I refill my carts and replace them before the ink monitor shows low or empty so I don't show the replacement full on the monitor, even though I just filled it.

bobk

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, my nozzle test isn't good and when I print, I get no ink from BK6. Much as I've liked the IP5000, I'm ready to toss it because I can't get beyond this problem. Maybe it's time for one of the All-In machines!

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
If the nozzle test shows one or more carts not printing properly don't give up. Go to the top of the opening page of this forum, click on "FAQ", click on the first FAQ, what to do when your printer isn't printing properly, and read through all the posts. There are techniques that usually work well that go far beyond the effectiveness of the cleaning cycles in the software.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
bobk, The iP5000 is not one of the new chipped cart printers. Therefore the printer is not telling you it is an incompatible printer, it is telling you it is getting a error for the printhead. I suspect that some contact is contaminated and not giving the correct condition. I had this on a Canon MP730 the other day, and it turned out under very close inspection the bottom 4 nozzles on the Photo cyan bank had shorted and was burned out. I had to use my 5x and my 8x magnifier to see the burn, but once I located the burn spot it was very easy to see. I replaced the printhead and got back to business.

The iP5000 is a great printer and if you want to get rid of it, I'll give you $25 plus pay the shipping to me. My other offer is to fix it for you for a reasonable price. YOu can take it to a Canon Service center and they will charge you service time plus the cost of parts.

One other very simple suggestion, put in a New Canon ink cart and see what error you get. By the way, where and how did you get the error message from your PC that the ink cart was not compatible.??? Like you said, you have been using inkgrabber carts for years, so when was the last time you actually cleaned your printhead by taking it out of the printer and rinsing it. I can imagine just how much pigmented ink has built up on the bottom of the printhead. The purge unit wipes off as much as it can each power cycle put afer two or more years, the whole purge unit has to be a mess, not to mention the amount of ink in the waste ink pads in the bottom of your printer.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
bobk, I just re-read your posts and I'm confused about a couple of things. I don't know anything about MAC's, but just how are you getting a message about "Incompatible INk Cart". It this an error presented in the MAC/Cannon driver software.

In any Canon printer running under windows, if you get a "Incompatible ink Cart" error, it is usually via many amber flashes. I just looked at the service manual and there are no operator error conditions for incompatible ink. There are no sensors in that printer except the ones inside on the far left and they only look at the prism to see if there is any ink at all. You mentioned you are still able to print a nozzle check but you get no Photo black, but are the other colors OK. If your really had some kind of incompatibily error, the printer would not let you print anything. I'm suspecting that you could have a problem with the MAC drivers for the printer. Tell us how you are getting any error message in more detail. Very few of us have a MAC, and the things you are reporting don't seem to happen on a Windows Canon printer.