Pixma 3000

Danny Kiwi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have a Pixma 5000 that is doing the excact same thing with the the 3e Bk which as you wil know, is the bigger of the two Black carts that prints Text...
I believe that it does not like any third Party Ink and eventually blocks up ...
Black will not print at all unless i set it to Gloosy or High Qualitty Photp Paper??
Can anyome recomend a GOD way to clean out the Head as I think this may be the Prob??Isopropyl Alchahol???Window Cleaner???
BTW I am in New Zealand,,
TX

Fano

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well I've tried almost everything.
1.Soaked the printhead in Windolene .
2.Cleaned the Printhead on Kitchen Roll soaked in windolene.
3.Cleaned the Printhead using Cleaning fluid.
4.Syringed the nozzles with warm purified water and air.
If anything the problem has become worse.
I rang the Canon service agents and they will send me a new head as it is under warranty.
I've spent ages trying to fix the Printhead but it has all been in vain.
Temperamental printers .

digitalartist71

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
i am having the same problem as explained in the "clogged printhead" thread. I am thinking the black is flowing from the inlet screened hole to the output hole and leaking out of the gasket between the this and the ceramic nozzle head.

i tightend it pretty good...so that could be the problem... may have to be torqued JUST RIGHT in order not to leak.

Canon is sending u another even after u voided the warranty by tearing it apart (do they know u tore it open?)? cool...if so...i am getting one also! since mine was purchased in June 2005...not even a year old.

Fano

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
digitalartist71 said:
Canon is sending u another even after u voided the warranty by tearing it apart (do they know u tore it open?)? cool...if so...i am getting one also! since mine was purchased in June 2005...not even a year old.
Tore it apart ?
I didnt open it at all.
I syringed it and cleaned it but I didnt tamper with the internals at all.
I believe the Cyan ink is leaking out of the gasket similar to your problem,as when I put warm water thru the cyan inlet ,it seemed to come out the sides.
Magenta and Yellow are now working but Cyan is dead.

digitalartist71

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
voila! it must be a gasket problem then? kinda like when your head gasket blows in a vehcile?!!!!

Fano

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I received a replacement printhead from Canon for my Pixma 3000 at the end of February.
Has been working fine since then until today.
Guess what has happened again ?
The Cyan nozzles have stopped working.
Thats 2 Printers and 4 printheads over 12 months that have all resulted in the same problem.
I've tried various brands of ink ,refill kits,oem and third party cartridges.
I've never had a problem with the Magenta or Yellow in all this time.
Cyan has always failed.
I'm beginning to think that this is a serious design flaw.
The Cyan cartridges work ,I've checked that , but nothing is coming out the head.
I'm wondering if this may be a mechanical problem ,perhaps something to do with the alignment of the Cyan cartridge .
At this stage I'm pretty disgusted with this problem as it is infuriating.
The printer is still under warranty but I am getting really fed up of having to send it away for repair.

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Fano,

As I read this thread, I see no evidence to conclude the problem is related to a
poor quality printhead---this same printhead is used in a large number of Canon
printers---including my MP730.

So I have to somewhat wonder if its your inks---that you are getting in the form of prefilled cartridges---not only have you reported some cartridges not feeding correctly, you report you always get a clog in cyan---which may mean the cyan ink is drying up, inside the printhead.--and that latter thing may be due to poorly formulated ink.---that are simply prone to clogging.

Contrast that with the experiences of many here---Neil Slade uses MIS inks by the gallon---I recall a recent poster who is now past 20,000 pages of output on the original printhead and printer--yes he has had some clogs along the way but those have cleared up with cleaning----and that poster used formulalabs inks. Hobbicolors are somewhat the new kid on the block but many have used them for a year or so with no real posted frequency of printhead clogging problems. These are the so called big three inks on these forums---concenus favorites and with a reason----they also have a very good Canon Oem color balance.

Maybe its time for you to jump on that big three bandwagon............and you may well find your problems go away-----but if refilling your own is something you wish to avoid, I do point out you can purchase cartridges prefilled with formulalabs inks.
Sadly some vendors do not ship internationally, so where you live can be a variable, but this forum can help you there in terms of finding a vendor that deals in any of the big three where you live.

I also report that I have always made it a habit to leave my printer turned off with its on off switch---until I am ready to print---and then I turn the printer off with its on off switch when I am done printing. The user who prints and then turns off the printer by cutting the juice to the printer may leave the printhead parked incorretly.
With various elements exposed to air which can cause clogging. For what its worth, I have never had a clog or even a bad nozzle check on my MP730 or ip4000.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I once owned an ip3000 for about a week. I returned it to the store after I found a problem in doing a printhead alignment. My impression about ip3000 is it is really a low quality built printer. It was made in Malaysia. The chassis looked cheap and not very precision made. Its appearance is far below ip8500's look. Well, if it is intended to be a low cost product it may be a lower quality product as well. It may not be realistic to expect it to print photo too well. It may be intended mainly as a text printer with colors decorating the printout. I returned it instead of getting an exchange. You may argue that it uses a same printhead as many other fine printer models. Well, I believe there are different grades of the printhead when they are rolled out of product lines. The best goes to higher priced models. The one that barely made to the specification goes to the lower priced models.

Fano

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Since I got the new printhead I have been taking good care of the printer.
I have made sure to always turn the printer off using the main power switch so that ensures the printhead is parked correctly.
I have been using a combination of compatible cartridges and Jettec refill kits,which have a good reputation in Europe,I'm based in Ireland by the way.
I use Projet compatible Black cartridges which cost about 69p a cartridge.
The print quality is very good from them.
I do not refill the black cartridges.
I use Sumvision compatibles for the colours,these cost 69p per cartridge.
I refill these cartridges about 5-6 times before disposing of them.
Its easy to refill the BCI-6 cartridges .
The Magenta and Yellow cartridges have always worked perfectly for me.
Cyan as I have already mentioned is a different matter.
As hpnetserver said the printhead alignment seems to be a common problem.
My printer gives an error now when I attempt a printhead alignment.
I had this problem with my previous Pixma 3000 too.
I try to remove the printhead as little as possible ,I presume this is the correct policy ?
If the third party ink is of poor quality should not all 3 of the colours clog ?
It has only ever been Cyan that has been problematic ,that strikes me as being a bit strange .
I put in a new Cyan cartridge this evening and it worked perfectly for 10 A4 photos,then it stopped printing Cyan again.
There is good downward pressure on the Cyan cartridge ,its a snug fit .
Sometimes if a fault occurs there is ink on the contact plate and other times there isnt .
I cant understand why it is always the Cyan causing the problem all the time.