Pigment ink and CISS

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Hi All,
My printer uses:

1x Pigment ink Cart (black)
5x DYE based ink Carts (cyan, magenta, yellow, grey, black)

I am planning to buy a rihac ciss for the printer.

Can I replace the Black PIGMENT ink with DYE ink to have less trouble with ciss ? (as suggested by rihac)

Will I damage the print head (canon) ?

Thank You !

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Probably you can as RIHAC is recommending this and I presume they had a lot of testing to confirm dye ink is the way to go for their CISS systems. You will not damage your print head, but since dye ink is much more thinner, print quality may suffer and letters can get crawly on your paper and less sharp compared to a good quality pigment ink.

I have a friend of mine using an Canon IX4000 and CISS too, but the black is KMP pigment ink and has been already filled several times and there is no problem with clogging, so maybe it had to do with the dry and hot climate in Australia (RIHAC is australina based) and the type of pigment ink they have been using before.

Bertil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You can no doubt use dye ink for your Canonprinters.I have done so for years without any problem for mine.Printquality satisfies what I need.
Bertil

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
you mean using pigment for all carts ?

Thanks

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
No, you never want to use pigment ink in cartridges that were designed for dye ink because the nozzles for dye inks are much smaller than the ones for pigment ink and you run the risk of clogging. If anyone does this, they should be aware of the risk. In general, it is not recommended.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Only for the pigment text black (PGI-5Bk), not for the others (CLI-8) which only takes dye ink.

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Thank you. I mailed rihac cos I'm a bit worried about the cart seal in the print head if using a ciss. I read almost all info in the ciss area