Pigment black or dye based black ink

rogert

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have been having trouble with Canon PG-40 black cartridges...all have acted like the heads were plugged shortly after refilling them. Prior to being refilled, they all worked great, but were getting low on ink. These were OEM carts, so they hadn't exceeded their life expendency . With a little research, I have discovered on 2 different Canon websites, that 1 sells OEM carts with pigment black ink & the other site with Chromalife 100 dye based ink. My bulk ink is pigment black ink. If I am refilling dye based carts with pigment ink, could that cause my head plugging ?
Thanks..

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
The PG-40 is pigmented black. What ink are you using and exactly how do you refill?

rogert

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The bulk ink is sold by inksell.com...I cannot tell you who the manufacturer is. It does state "pigment ink"
This is the method I use with a few additional steps.
http://www.ehow.com/how_6775003_refill-canon-pg_40-ink-cartridge.html
1. place the bottom half of the cart in a small plastic bag with a damp paper towel...never touching the print head.
2. inject about 12 ml of ink very slowly.
3. then allow the cart to sit in the holder for about 30 min to see if it is going to drip.
4. cover the drilled hole with scotch tape & make a small vent hole with a pin.
5. Reinstall cart in printer & wait at lest 4 hours before doing a print head cleaning.
6. print a test page
After 2 or 3 days the printer starts showing signs of a clogged print head. placing head in hot water helps for another 2 or 3 days

Any suggestions would be appricated