• Epson L1800

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
There is one "feature" I couldn't describe better than in this review:
https://www.ephotozine.com/article/...non-9500-mk-ii-a3--photo-printer-review-16598
"...My HP B9180 clatters and bangs like an old Ford model T..."

Now I'm trying to explore what each specific clatter and bang means..
But one thing I can say: this noisy maintenance, a short version is done every 24 hours even when it's turned off, does waste only very small amounts of ink.

I found very good and detailed informations regarding the special functionality and construction of printer, printheads and cartridge here:
http://www.hstt.net/refill-faq/hp.html
http://www.hstt.net/forum/hewlett-pysteme/
...and also refill ink in the shop, but not the cheap sort...
https://www.hstt.net/webshop/fuer-hp-c-1687.html

BTW...as this is not the HP forum, it might be better to post my experiences there.. ?.. but here in this thread there is already some information easy reach by scroll back..!?

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Here are my experience and findings of today:
(too lazy to translate now)
http://www.hstt.net/forum/post33273.html#p33273
I have installed refillables, some problems with chips... and there was smoke coming out of the printhead (I think... and no I did NOT smoke anything) - but the printer seems to be okay..

PS: Bbesides my technical interest I bought this printer for one reason:
- it is able to print on stiff media through a special straight paper tray - down to small sizes like 5x7!
The epson 3880 will allow this card printing only from A4 up.. and I like to print small postcards on very stiff aquarell paper..

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It’s interesting that you wish to print on heavy stock cards, because traditionally coloured postcards are usually printed on medium stock card, and the standard blank postcard are only on 160gm.
Weight has always been an issue for Airmail..

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Not so heavy, around 250g - but stiff.. too stiff for standard paper feed.

But regarding weight: how much weighs a postcard of say 200gm..?
And what is the limit for airmail?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
There is no weight limits for airmail, the sanctions are place upon the weight of your postcard in the post office, i.e. postcard charge rate or over weight charge rate, sometime it can be double.
200gm is probably the limit..

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
After around 50 prints the ink of the refillables (claimed as inktech compatible pigment for HP 70 printheads) should have filled the heads and results are as good as with the expired original carts.

So I made a quick comparison of the output on aldi-sihl glossy paper:
Epson 3880 vs HP b8850, with a Canon mp810 as non pro A4 dye printer.
Small A6 prints of the outback sample, scanned 1200dpi and then cut out to a rather small crop, which is about 2cm wide in reality.
The printers have different drivers/menus, so the "dpi" are not quite the same, but all are printed in similar high quality settings.

PrinterEvaluationImage_V002_ProPhoto_convSRGB_kl.jpg
HPvsEP_ep38hqICM.jpg HPvsEP_hp88hq.jpg HPvsEPvsCAN_canQ1.jpg

Don't look at the colors, because these are not custom profiled,
it's only for resolution and smoothness of the printers / printheads.

IMHO the b8850 gives a really nice output.
And regarding gloss differential and bronzing of the pigment ink - it's not as good as dye, but not "worse" than epson UCK3, to my eyes..

PS: looking at the epson print, now I see banding... there could be a nozzle missing or alignment is needed. So this might be a bit unfair for the 3880, I have to admit ... will try to adjust it, as the 3880 can do better than this..

PPS: now I notice that the banding is vertical! This would mean, no alignment or nozzle cleaning helps, right? Timing strip...?..looks good... What can cause vertical banding??

- Last update regarding the "banding" on my 3880 prints (a topic I didn't wanted):
Printing with different setting, even color settings, makes it stronger or weaker, sometimes it almost disappears... And it's visibly only in this strong magnification, you would need rather a microscope than a reading loupe to recognize it

Last edited:

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Being printer addicted and refilling a collection of a4 home printers, canon bubble jet dye, epson piezo dye and pigment, I have to say: this HP turns out as a very good pigment photo printer. And reliable ... because the daily maintenance cycle takes up less ink than expected, keeping it ready to print.
The "NEDD" seems to do a good job, it is a feature which canon also has in his new IPF PRO 1000: detection of non firing nozzles
If you get used to its LFP like features, and find out how to refill - which is easy both with OEM or refillable system - there are real bargain offers, standing idle and waiting to get reanimated.

My experiences and steep learning curve while using it is written in this thread:
http://www.systemkamera-forum.de/topic/110249-bester-schwarz-weiss-drucker-epson-oder-canon/ (I'm in from posting 33 on)
Sorry only in german, with photos and links. A very helpful user and expert for HP showed me the way.

Last edited:

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
There seems to be an issue with these printers if you want to "software manages colors", and HP has no solution. since the beginning:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2373229

My findings so far:
You can use this setting, which is needed for custom profiles,
only with the following paper settings:

A for matte papers (PK+MK)
- other ink jet paper
- other fine art paper
B for semi and glossy (only PK)
- other photo paper
- photo paper thick
(paper names are translated from german driver.. original could slightly differ..)

It's a shame that HP is not able to write a flawless driver software, I've tried all "critical updates" without success.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Since I found this accessoir:
6-PC-Lot-Printhead-Cover-Units-For-HP81-HP83-Print-Head-Printer-Head-Protector-For-HP.jpg

..I was wondering what is it good for?

Then this happened to my second reanimated B9180:
HP70-papercrash_kl.jpgHP70-papercrash-detail.jpg

.. and I will surely order some of these metal clips!

So there is not only a buggy software, but also a paper feed design which isn't very reliable.
On the other hand the results are really pleasing...
I still seem to "love-hate" this whopper - would surely hate if I would have paid around 500 USD when it was new...