PhotoShop versions

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
I'm satisfied with the PS5.
If you are using PS professionally then you have to buy it. I assure you it's worth the money.

But if you are using it only for an extended hobby, then it is much too costly. Download a cracked version...

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I am currently using PS Elements 8, a free copy supplied with the Canon 9000 II printer. It does most things I require, but with CS 6, the last non cloud version coming to the end of its life, I was wondering if I'm missing something. What do the users of CS find useful, that I can't do at the moment, is it worth the £400?
Actually CC 2014 PHOTOSHOP is on special for about $8 ( US ) per month.
You might not really need it though.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
I use CS6 & only use less than 10% of it's power so if your shots are done right in the camera then Elements maybe all you need. I think Elements has layers etc so if you are using most of the abilities of Elements then you may gain a little something from Photoshop but it's an overkill program for photographers.
Maybe Lightroom is what you need.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I use CS6 & only use less than 10% of it's power so if your shots are done right in the camera then Elements maybe all you need. I think Elements has layers etc so if you are using most of the abilities of Elements then you may gain a little something from Photoshop but it's an overkill program for photographers.

Yes Rod, my thoughts are the same as yours, but the temptation to upgrade is always there! I am using Canon RAW as you are and have Adobe RAW leading into Elements. I looked at Lightroom and decided that it was more for quantity production and that Elements had most of the facilities that an amateur needs. PS6 would be overkill by a large margin! So it looks as though it would not be a good acquisition. Pity, I like new toys.:drool

Anyone wish to extol the virtues of Lightroom over Elerments?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Well said Rod…:thumbsup

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Yes Rod, my thoughts are the same as yours, but the temptation to upgrade is always there! I am using Canon RAW as you are and have Adobe RAW leading into Elements. I looked at Lightroom and decided that it was more for quantity production and that Elements had most of the facilities that an amateur needs. PS6 would be overkill by a large margin! So it looks as though it would not be a good acquisition. Pity, I like new toys.:drool

I started on elements and quit to switch to Lr. For me it was like taking the first breath. The only folks that will say the thing is too big and poweful for an every day pleasure photographer are those that dont need organisation, or are too lazey /scared/tight to buy it. Many folks are tidy enough, and have simple basic needs.
Me I tinker, experiment, explore and get lost and easily confused.
Lr allows me to keep several thousand images as shot, intact, and safe. Everything in Lr is vertual till you print, and even then that is actually using a data based file and is nondestructive.
There is little to limiit workflow options, arrangement of storage and COLLECTIONS enable a multitude of what if "albums"
all virtual, but all printable.
It is a one stop shop for 80% of my images that I call snaps. For my Art endeavours it handles around the 80% also but also has the ability to see me working on an image, swich to a plug in or PS taking with it everything I have done to the image in Lr so far, tweek in whatever plug in and then switch right back to the Lr screen bringing all the additional processing with it.
Then with one click share with whatever, make s slide show, order a book, or print. It has the best print interface I have used/ seen.
Right now I dont print out of PS its just too klunky, and I'd be LOST amongst too many versions of the same image, and unable to keep track of the various groups and sub groups I need.......
Typical :
Family
Friends
Places
Events
Dogs
Horses
Farm
Trees
Clouds
Water
Landscape
To name just a few...within each are sub & sub- sub catagories
And the pathway through theventire structure is keywording.

That is just scratching at the most obvious bits, so hope it is of interest.

I am not a fast learner, but if it fits with yourcway of thinking it seems to just fall into place and is easy to learn and discover as you grow into it.

Cheers,

Andrew

Anyone wish to extol the virtues of Lightroom over Elerments?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
@3dogs
I think you have put your reply into the middle of the "QUOTE"

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
@Emulator
Indeed I did.......drafted the thing on my tablet and its not the best for doing forum stuff on. When I hit Post Reply it went all WOBBLY ( a technical term for stuff up) On reflection it has a sort of quirky Feel, that fits with my reply ....dont you think?:rolleyes:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@3dogs see what happens when you sent a laptop to do the job of a computer.
It’s Elements over Lightroom … :lol:

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
@The Hat
If that was true, for me, I'd be usin Elements still. Both have a place. Elements is the ants pants till a person wants to get serious about their work. If it was Elementary - the Professionals would be all over it like a rash, that they are not says something about the users more than the product. What it saysis when a photographer starts pushing the limits there are just subtle differences that reside in Lr and its connectivity to so many externals from within the workflow that support and builds a solid work platform for customer critical output.
Elements is great for the enthusiast
Lr sits neatly beside PS for the next group along, its a pro product, adaptable to meet the needs of the advanced enthusiast who is getting that bit more attentive to their PRODUCT.
And that I think is what separates them, Lr is a PRODUCT capable platform.......IMHO

Cheers