Photocartridge and colour cartridge

anon_private

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus SX100
Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding cartridges.

Is there a noticable difference between the black produced from a black cart, and the black produced from a photocartridge?

Also, if a photcartridge and colour cartridge are both installed in a printer ( no other cartridges), what determines which cart is used to produce a colour?

Is it possible to determine which cart is producing black?

Thanks

A

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
There were some posts that clearly shows what black is used and when, but PG black is used if you print plain paper mode. When using photo paper settigns then DYE black will be used because Canon does not make any other paper than fror dye inks.

Black mixed from CMY inks will be not true black either :( it decreased color gamut in black shades.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You can see the posts that Smile refers to by clicking on the Inkjet FAQ's link at the top of this page and reading the answers to the questions about pigment/dye ink and greyscale printing.

anon_private

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus SX100
Thanks for the links

I am using the Lexmark z2390

It can use a black and a colour cart (CMY) - two carts in housing.

I believe that the black cart now has dye based ink. Not sure if the colour cart is dye or pigment based.

If I print on plain paper, having read the FAQ's, I assume that the black cart will supply black for text. So, provided I use plain paper then th colour cart (CMY) will not mix to produce black.

Have I got this right?

If I install a photcart that will replace the black cart. I assume that if I use plain paper then black will come from the photocart and not be created fom the colour cart. Is this correct.

If I refill so that all my inks are dye based would this affect any of the above?

Thanks

anon_private

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus SX100
On a related point, I have lot of CMY inks and have been told by the company that produces these inks that I can use them in a photocartridge.

Since a photocartridge has light cyan, light magenta, and black, I was thinking of diluting the cyan and magenta with say 10% distilled water.

Can you see any problems that I might have with printing.

Thanks

Ps. I have never seen photoinks. Does my 10% dilution seem reasonable?

anon_private

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus SX100
It just occured to me that different manufacturers of photoinks might produce light cyan and light magenta of different shades?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
First of all, the FAQ's are just for Canon printers, I have no idea if the same thing applies for Lexmark.

Second, photo (or light) inks are "diluted" much more than 10%, it's more like they are 10-30% ink and the rest diluted, at least for the way they print. It's really an unknown and you shouldn't dilute with water. I have no idea what the ink is made of but I wouldn't recommend making your own.

anon_private

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus SX100
Hi,

I understand that my inks are water based, so dilution with say 70% distilled water should be fine.

Because of your warning, I 'll try and check on the solvent used in the ink. It could be mixed, but if if it contains substantail water, I don't think there will be a problem

The FAQ's, as you say, refer to Canon printers, but I think I got a lot out of reading them in terms of general knowledge that may/maynot apply to Lexmark.

Best wishes

A.

Ps. As a matter of interest, how would one go about making an ink?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Keep in mind that ink also contains other products like glycols, preservatives, alcohols to control the optimal viscosity so that the produced drops are sharp and dry fast enough and can be repelled from the printhead without clutting together. Water has a rather high surface tension and can cause the ink droplets to merge together (high cohesion power). Also by diluting the ink the action of the preservatives may be diminished making your ink to spoil much faster and when algae grow in your ink, then your printhead may be damaged beyond repair....

So just diluting with water is not a good idea.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
From the tests that Canonfodder and I ran, Canon PM and PC have roughly the same strength as 16% M or C diluted with water (buried somewhere in this post). However, I agree with Pharmacist that I would not use this mixture in a printer.

Formulating inks is a complex science. If you want to make a simple ink, just buy some RIT dye and mix it with water. It will be OK to dye clothing, but it won't work (at least not for long) in a printer.