Photo problem

cambece

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I use an Epson r320 and I tried using some paper I had from my hp sample pack. BIG mistake, the Epson ink doesnt go into the hp paper. Has that ever happened to anyone else or am I the only person who had tried to mix brands?

Cambece

erick13

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've tried the same thing and had the same poor results. I've have found that Canon paper works pretty well with Epson printers. Also some of the cheap no name papers work well also. Staples brand paper isn;'t that bad either.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Is the Epson r320 a dye based ink printer? I had an Epson Stylus Color 900 that was a dye based ink printer. Quite a good one for its generation of printers. Kodak paper was not compatable with its inks. The image would smear if touched as it took a long time to dry. There was bronzing in the very dark areas. My Canon printers do very well with Epson papers as well as Costco Kirkland glossy paper.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The R320 is pigment-based...and works vey well with Ilford smooth pearl and Ilford Printasia satin paper....

Give it a shot.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, tyamada...You are correct. If these inks are dye-based, as the document says, what gives them their longevity?

It was my understanding that most Epson inks are pigmented for archival purposes.

Thanks for the correction.

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Manuchau:

The only reason I was aware of the Epson printer line is because I am looking for a printer that uses pigmented inks to print model decals. Pigment ink is a form of paint and is very water proof especially with the clear overcoat. Epson pigmented ink printers comprise their top of the line printers begining with the R800. The other printers that Epson makes that uses pigmented inks is the Picture Mate line. They also make a Professional Wide printer line that uses pigmented ink. Most Epson Pigmented ink printers are high priced and the cartrides are very expensive.

Neil Slade had a report on his web page on the Epson R800, he had problems with keeping the print head clean. One of the reason I have not purchased the R800. I read good reports on the R1800, but for $549.00 its out of my price range for now.

easyrefill

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have the Epson R1800 and I think it is a fantastic printer.

The printer has an auto nozzle check feature that uses LED beam on the test page. If the color pattern is prefest, it does the test page once. It the color pattern is not perfect, it cleans the color in question and print the test page again, the cycle repeats and if it failed it stops at the forth try. If the pattern is good, it prints out a black/white pattern and finish the test.

This printer produces some of the best photos I have printed.

Going back to the original posting. HP prints by using thermo drop to distribute inks on paper, Epson uses piezoelectric. Different delivery methods and different inks will sure produce different results on the same paper. I tried using HP printer in an Epson printer before, I had the same problem. The Epson inks will not dry fast enough to produce good prints on HP paper. Trying to use Epson paper in a HP printer would not work either.

easyrefill

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
cambece said:
I use an Epson r320 and I tried using some paper I had from my hp sample pack. BIG mistake, the Epson ink doesnt go into the hp paper. Has that ever happened to anyone else or am I the only person who had tried to mix brands?

Cambece
Epson ink does not dry as quickly on HP paper. These 2 printers work differently, one uses heat to dispense ink on paper, the other uses vibration from the print nozzle. HP inks from HP printer drys faster. This is why Epson ink will not work on HP paper.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
It isn't just that. I've been using the same ink on both printers for a while and only the HP produced good results on HP paper.

On the other hand, they would both print well on generic matte photo paper.