Photo printouts from G2010 turn green after a month

rounakr94

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma E510, Pixma G2010
Hi,
Why do my photo prints from G2010 become green after a month of printing?
This never happened with my Canon E510 Printer.
I printed some photos using my EOS 600D and stuck them on my wall and all turned green after a month or less. They are never exposed to sunlight.
I use Kodak 200GSM Glossy Photo Paper with Original Canon inks supplied with my Printer. Its mentioned on package that it is for all inkjet printers.
I have attached a snap of the picture now vs a digital copy of how it looked on day one.
IMG_20220620_140001.jpg

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You are victim of a hidden marketing policy by Canon not to give you the best inks they have but inks with mediocre longevity/fading performance, About all Megatank models are affected by this policy, the only exception is the G550/650 photo printer which uses the very well performing Chromalife 100 inks, all other printers do not use these inks.
You can do this - you order the ink bottles for the G550 printer instead and do a refill of these inks into the bottles which fit your printer, and you do an ink upgrade this way. You would need a syringe with a needle which you can push into the ink bottles slightly tilted. There is no way to my knowledge and test that you can swap/remove the bottle heads (you could with Epson ink bottles - Epson users face the same fading problem)

I have published a range of tests comparing inks and papers for their fading performance - The Chromalife 100 inks and the Epson Claria inks are the best inks users can get - and all other inks for the Eco/Megatank printers are no better than arbitrary 3rd party inks but only more expensive.

Last edited:

rounakr94

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
You are victim of a hidden marketing policy by Canon not to give you the best inks they have but inks with mediocre longevity/fading performance, About all Megatank models are affected by this policy, the only exception is the G550/650 photo printer which uses the very well performing Chromalife 100 inks, all other printers do not use these inks.
You can do this - you order the ink bottles for the G550 printer instead and do a refill of these inks into the bottles which fit your printer, and you do an ink upgrade this way. You would need a syringe with a needle which you can push into the ink bottles slightl tilted. There is no way to my knowledge and test that you can swap/remove the bottle heads (you could with Epson ink bottles - Epson users face the same fading problem)

I have published a range of tests comparing inks and papers for their fading performance - The Chromalife 100 inks and the Epson Claria inks are the best inks users can get - and all other inks for the Eco/Megatank printers are no better than arbitrary 3rd party inks but only more expensive.
Are the GI-73 inks same as GI-53?
GI-53's are not available in my country.
GI-550/650 is also not available here. Instead a GI-570/670 is available.
The Pixma G570 uses GI-73 here.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Numbers of printers and accessories vary between different business regions, but there is little bit of Canon logic in the numbers - the G550/650 use the GI-53 inks , the G570 uses the 73 inks and the G520 uses the 23 inks.
The G-series printers - except the G550 - use CMY dye inks and a pigment black for text printing, the driver does not use the pigment black ink when you select and use a glossy photo paper in the driver, you don't need to replace the black ink in this case. You may swap the black ink to the GI-73 dye black as well and use the matte paper setting - even if you print on glossy paper, this would give you a more neutral look of black areas in your image. You may do a short test with the pigment black - on a glossy paper - but with matte paper selected - just for the look - the ink will not stay on the glossy paper. You have an option here.

Last edited:

rounakr94

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Numbers of printers and accessories vary between different business regions, but there is little bit of Canon logic in the numbers - the G550/650 use the GI-53 inks , the G570 uses the 73 inks and the G520 uses the 23 inks
Looks like Canon ranks number one for Confusing customers lol.
Will replace the colours with Gi-73 after current tank runs out.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The digits in bold are Canon region numbers, The GI-53 ink is for use in Europe which is Canon region 5, GI-73 ink is for use in Asia which is region 7 and so on. Here is a list of Canon regions:

Region 1 for South American and Mexican markets
Region 2 for North American market = USA and Canada
Region 3 for Japanese market
Region 4 for Middle East, Russian and African markets
Region 5 for European and Australian markets *)
Region 7 for Asian market
Region 8 for Chinese market
*) With the introduction of the PGI-x50/CLI-x51 cartridges Australia and New Zeeland got their own region 6:
PGI-650, CLI-651 C/M/Y/BK/GY

ClarenceL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G570, EPSON L800/L3150
Are the GI-73 inks same as GI-53?
GI-53's are not available in my country.
GI-550/650 is also not available here. Instead a GI-570/670 is available.
The Pixma G570 uses GI-73 here.
I believed it's the same or similar.
At least my fading test running on GI-73 should double check about it. :)

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Looks like Canon ranks number one for Confusing customers lol.
Oh well, Epson can do it as good - they don't change the number for inks in some cases but for the printer - e.g. the ET-8550 becomes the L8180, or keep the name like the P900 but change the firmware if and how they can handle refill, reset chips etc.